Heath Ledgers Joker worth an Oscar: CriticJune 27th, 2008 - 3:49 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 27 (ANI): A leading film critic in America has started backing Heath Ledger for a posthumous Oscar in his review of the late actor’s last completed film, The Dark Knight.
Rolling Stone critic Peter Travers said that Ledger’s performance of the Joker in the Batman Begins sequel is worth an Academy Award.
“I can only speak superlatives of Ledger, who is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker,” Usmagazine quoted Travers, as saying.
“It’s typical of Ledger’s total commitment to films as diverse as Brokeback Mountain and I’m Not There that he does nothing out of vanity or the need to be liked.
“Ledger’s Joker has no gray areas he’s all rampaging id. He creates a Joker for the ages,” he added.
Travers further said: No plastic mask for Ledger. His face is caked with moldy makeup that highlights the red scar of a grin, the grungy hair and the yellowing teeth of a hound fresh out of hell.”
“If there’s a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976’s Network, sign me up,” he wrote.
Warner Bros have also paid tribute to the late Brokeback Mountain star in the end credits of the film. (ANI)
- No replacement for Heath Ledger's Joker role in Batman - Jun 07, 2010
- No Heath Ledger In Dark Knight Rises - Dec 05, 2010
- 'The Dark Knight' sequel to hit screens in 2012 - May 02, 2010
- No replacement of Ledger in 'The Dark Knight' sequel - Jun 08, 2010
- Nolan announces 'Batman 3' title - Oct 28, 2010
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' To Present Anne Hathaway In New Avatar! - Jan 23, 2011
- Unseen footage of Heath Ledger to be used in next Batman movie? - Dec 02, 2010
- Ledgers ex-fiancee refuses to accept awards for The Dark Knight - Dec 16, 2008
- Garfield looks up to Ledger's 'Joker' performance for Spiderman role - Nov 26, 2010
- Sequel of 'The Dark Night' to Hit Screens in 2012 - May 03, 2010
- 'Dark Knight Rises' Make Batman Fans Expectant - Jan 20, 2011
- Batman 3 movie title revealed - Oct 28, 2010
- When Joker made Batman cry - Jun 06, 2012
- Ledger had most fun playing Joker, says family - Jan 24, 2009
- Crowe replaces Ledger in Australian film - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: academy award, batman begins, batman begins sequel, brokeback mountain, dark knight, film critic, gray areas, heath ledger, heath ledgers, june 27, mountain star, peter finch, peter travers, plastic mask, red scar, rolling stone, superlatives, total commitment, vanity, warner bros