Healthy bacteria could prevent obesityMay 26th, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) Healthy gut flora — microorganisms living in the digestive tract of animals — can reduce the risk of obesity, a study says.
The study, done on rats, showed that daily intake of a lactic acid bacteria, which has been given the name Lactobacillus plantarum HEAL19, appears to be able to prevent obesity and reduce the body’s low-level inflammation.
“Rats who were given this specific lactic acid bacterium from their time in the uterus up to adult age put on significantly less weight than other rats. Both groups ate the same amount of high-energy food,” explains Caroline Karlsson, researcher in food hygiene at Lund University, Sweden.
Karlsson also observed that the rats which were given lactobacilli had a richer and better composition of the bacteria which occur naturally in the intestines, reports the British Journal of Nutrition.
Probiotics is an umbrella term for bacteria with proven health benefits. They are important for the prevention of various stomach and intestinal problems. Research findings also indicate that probiotics could affect the immune system, relieve eczema and help fight viral infections.
Certain foods, for example olives, yoghurt and cheese, naturally contain lactobacilli — the type of bacteria most often used as probiotics, according to a Lund statement.
A healthy gut flora should contain a large proportion of ‘good bacteria’, such as lactic acid bacteria, in order to keep the inflammation-causing bacteria in check.
- Friendly bugs can now be delivered safely to guts - Sep 06, 2011
- Probiotic can't help in diarrhoea caused by Salmonella - Apr 20, 2010
- Some probiotics better in surviving, promoting health - Feb 23, 2012
- Blueberries keep intestinal inflammations at bay - Feb 09, 2010
- Junk food causing surge in illnesses and allergies in UK: Study - Aug 03, 2010
- New probiotic can treat irritable bowels - Feb 01, 2011
- New probiotic fights inflammatory bowel diseases - Feb 01, 2011
- Scientists find protein to boost power of probiotics - Nov 25, 2009
- 'Good bacteria' in yogurt may not be as healthy as you think! - Dec 27, 2010
- Designer probiotics could help in the fight against obesity - Dec 23, 2010
- Friendly bugs to help you shed weight - Jan 17, 2011
- Prebiotic helps lower colon cancer risk: study - May 04, 2012
- 'Probiotics may help ward off obesity in women' - May 07, 2009
- Oily fish, blueberries, soy protein, vinegar and cinnamon aid memory - Oct 16, 2010
- Probiotic drinks don't promote health, says EU study - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: adult age, british journal of nutrition, digestive tract, energy food, food hygiene, good bacteria, gut flora, intestines, journal of nutrition, karlsson, lactic acid bacteria, lactic acid bacterium, lund university sweden, probiotics, risk of obesity, stomach and intestinal problems, type of bacteria, umbrella term, viral infections, yoghurt