Headley, Rana were in direct touch with ISI handlers (Lead)May 24th, 2011 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 24 (IANS) A key plotter of the 26/11 terror attack told a Chicago court Tuesday how he gave details about landing sites in Mumbai to his Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and ISI handlers.
Resuming his testimony in the trial of his one-time friend Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, Pakistani American David Coleman Headley said he had scouted the Shiv Sena headquarters in Mumbai before the 26/11 attack.
Headley, son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, who changed his given name of Daood Gilani in 2006 to scout targets for the attack without arousing suspicion, described the Shiv Sena as a terrorist organisation.
Headley was also asked about several emails he sent to Rana, Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence’s Major Iqbal and LeT’s Sajid to confirm that Rana and he were in direct communication with the Pakistan-based men.
Headley’s hand-written diary, two pages of which were produced in court as evidence, contains telephone numbers of two Major-rank officers of the Pakistani Army among the handlers of the 26/11 attackers.
The listed names include one “Major Iqbal” and one Major ‘SM’, apparently a code name for Sajid Mir.
The diary also has the names of key Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) operatives like Abdur Rahman Makki, who is the deputy of the outfit’s chief Hafiz Saeed.
Also listed are Wasi, Jehangir, Inam, Tehseen, Izaz M, Tahir, Manzoor and Khalid. Initials like ‘A.R’, ‘M.H’, ‘M.B’ and ‘C.B’ are also mentoned.
Most of the phone numbers mentioned are Pakistani. There are also two phone numbers of Dubai. Headley’s diary also contained a telephone number of film Maker Mahesh Bhatt’s son Rahul Bhatt, listed under the name ‘Rahul B’.
- Headley, ISI handlers hatched a plot to assassinate Bal Thackeray (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Headley identified Somnath temple, Bollywood as targets (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Mumbai terror suspect Rana to be arraigned May 4 - Apr 27, 2011
- Mumbai terror trial begins in Chicago court (Second Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- ISI handler wanted Mumbai airport among targets (Third Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Jury selection continues in Mumbai terror trial in Chicago (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Rana praised LeT handler for 'brilliantly' done Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Pakistan's role in Mumbai attack may come out in Rana trial (Third Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Court asks NIA to present Headley May 31 (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Violated ISI, LeT spy code to share secrets with Rana: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Jury selection on in Mumbai terror trial in Chicago - May 17, 2011
- Pakistan Navy man present to pick Mumbai attack landing site: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Headley visited Indian n-plant, wanted Kashmir assignment (Lead) - May 26, 2011
Tags: american mother, canadian businessman, david coleman, film maker, gilani, hafiz, inter services, iqbal, jamaat, jehangir, lashkar e taiba, makki, pakistani army, rahul bhatt, rana, sajid, spy agency, terror attack, terrorist organisation, time friend