Headley identified Somnath temple, Bollywood as targets (Second Lead)May 26th, 2011 - 2:14 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 26 (IANS) A self-confessed key plotter of the Mumbai terror attack, David Coleman Headley Wednesday testified that he identified ancient Somnath temple in India and Bollywood among several more targets he “liked” for future terror attacks.
Taking the stand for the third day in the trial of Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, star prosecution witness Pakistani-American Headley said he identified the favoured targets to his one-time friend.
According to a transcript of their phone conversation read out aloud in court by Headley, four new targets favoured by him included Somnath temple in Gujarat, Bollywood, the Shiv Sena office in Mumbai and the Danish newspaper that in 2005 printed cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
Rana “told me to stop doing what I was doing and he was offering me a job at his farm,” Headley said.
“I spoke to Rana about four targets and he said ‘If you did those four targets, you are still not going to stop’,” Headley said recalling the conversation.
Rana also said that nine of the 10 Mumbai attackers who died should be given Pakistan’s highest military bravery award, Nishan-e-Haidar, Headley testified.
Headley also talked about his conversation with another of his Pakistani handlers Pasha and the new email he would create.
According to the transcript of Pasha-Headley conversation, read out by the federal prosecutor, Headley said: “Major Iqbal went to my house in Lahore in Pakistan, my employee told me over there.”
Headley also testified that handlers of Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) guided the attackers on phone and even asked them to change tactics to challenge the advancing commandos as they watched the 2008 Mumbai carnage live from Pakistan.
Headley said his LeT handler Sajid Mir, who was in Karachi during the Mumbai attack, was in contact with the attackers via phone and he was watching TV coverage of the siege and seeing what was going on in India.
- Mumbai attack: Headley not proud, US cooperating with India (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Violated ISI, LeT spy code to share secrets with Rana: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Rana trial jury yet to reach verdict - Jun 09, 2011
- Rana praised LeT handler for 'brilliantly' done Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Headley joined LeT to avenge Pakistan's 1971 dismemberment - May 24, 2011
- Headley was 'very pleased' by Mumbai attacks - May 25, 2011
- Headley dealt with Pakistan officials, 'pleased' with 26/11 (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- ISI handler sought progress report on Mumbai terror plot - Jun 02, 2011
- ISI handler wanted Mumbai airport among targets (Third Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Rana's lawyers question Headley's credibility (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Rana praised Mumbai attacks as 'brilliantly' done: Headley - May 26, 2011
- Headley was in touch with Pakistan officials, terrorists - May 25, 2011
- Rana was 'no dupe', played for same team as Headley: Prosecution (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Rana worked with Headley every step of the way: Prosecution - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: attackers, canadian businessman, cartoons of the prophet muhammad, david coleman, federal prosecutor, gujarat, haidar, iqbal, lahore, lashkar e taiba, new email, pasha, phone conversation, prosecution witness, somnath temple, terror attack, terror attacks, terror group, time friend, tv coverage