Hasina-led alliance victory good for South Asia: Somnath ChatterjeeFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 22 (IANS) The restoration of democracy in Bangladesh is a “positive development” for the entire South Asian region, Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee said here.
Chatterjee, who arrived here Saturday on a three-day visit, praised the landslide victory of the centrist and left-of-centre grand alliance led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
“People of the whole world are happy over the victory of the grand alliance that leads the country in restoring democracy,” the speaker of the Indian parliament’s lower house was quoted as saying after his arrival here at the head of a six-member parliamentary delegation.
Chatterjee offered to train Bangladesh’s parliamentarians, many of them first termers, during a meeting with Hasina.
Both South Asian neighbours have common parliamentary traditions, following the Westmister-style parliamentary democracy.
Save aberrations like brief periods of presidential system and military-led or military-guided regimes, Bangladesh has retained the parliamentary system.
There was no parliament for two years, between November 2006 and December 2008, when the country was ruled by a military-backed caretaker government.
Chatterjee and his colleagues are here at the invitation of Speaker Abdul Hamid of Bangladesh Parliament.
- Indian speaker offers to train Bangladesh MPs (Lead) - Feb 22, 2009
- Credibility of parliamentary system getting questioned: Somnath - Aug 13, 2012
- Bangladesh to review its constitution - Jul 21, 2010
- Bangladesh constitution to retain 'Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim' - Jul 23, 2010
- Bangladesh's opposition alliance returns to parliament - Feb 11, 2010
- Zia warns government against deal with India - Jan 01, 2010
- Court restores `secularism' in Bangladesh constitution (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- Hasina for Islam as Bangladesh's state religion - May 31, 2011
- Germany concerned over human rights in Bangladesh - Jun 23, 2012
- Bangladesh set to review its constitution - Jul 21, 2010
- Zia firm over strike despite losing apex court appeal (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Hasina to meet panel on Islamic references in constitution - Apr 27, 2011
- Violence, promises as Bangladesh poll campaign ends - Dec 27, 2008
- Bangladesh parliamentary polls on Monday - Dec 27, 2008
- Several accomplishments during Somanth's tenure as speaker: PM - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: abdul hamid, aberrations, asian neighbours, bangladesh parliament, caretaker government, dhaka, grand alliance, indian parliament, invitation, landslide victory, Lok Sabha, parliament, parliamentarians, parliamentary delegation, parliamentary democracy, parliamentary system, regimes, somnath chatterjee, South Asia, south asian region