Has Kim Jong-un undergone plastic surgery to resemble grandpa?October 5th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 5 (ANI): Rumours are rife that Kim Jong-un, the heir to the North Korean regime, has undergone plastic surgery in a bid to more closely resemble his grandfather, the deeply respected Kim Il-sung.
The speculation began in South Korea after the release last week of the first official photographs of the 27-year-old son of Kim Jong-il.
The images show a chubby, nervous looking young man sitting in the front row of a packed auditorium as he was named vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers’ Party and a four-star general.
In the images, the family resemblance between Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-un is obvious.
The youngest in the Kim dynasty has the same chubby cheeks as his grandfather, a double chin and the familiar mouth that turns down at the ends.
In fact, he is also sporting a hairstyle- very short at the sides and swept back on top-which is just like his predecessor preferred.
The images are in stark contrast to previous photographs, which depict Kim as a slender teenager who looks nothing like his paternal grandfather.
South Korean newspapers suggested that in the intervening years he had undergone surgery to boost his standing with the public.
According to the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper, Pyongyang was hoping to cement Kim’s position as the country’s next leader through a “reincarnation of North Korea’s late founder.”
“A lot of people in South Korea have pointed out that Kim’s face is very different from when he was young, particularly the shape of his chin,” the Telegraph quoted Toshimitsu Shigemura, a professor at Tokyo’s Waseda University and author of a number of books on the North Korean leadership, as saying.
“From previous photos, everyone had remarked that he looked nothing like his grandfather, so the change is quite dramatic,” he added.
The JoongAng Sunday newspaper reported that it had secretly interviewed three people in North Korea by mobile phone and that there has been similar speculation in the North since their new leader-in-waiting was unveiled. (ANI)
- North Korea's heir apparent undergoes plastic surgery - Oct 05, 2010
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- 'Kim Jong-il's death was extensive intelligence failure' - Dec 20, 2011
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies of heart attack - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North Korea shuts down varsities for 10 months - Jun 28, 2011
- Kim Jong Il's aide's death reveals internal strife in N-Korea - Jun 07, 2010
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: central military commission, chubby cheeks, double chin, family resemblance, four star, hairstyle, joongang, kim il sung, kim jong il, korean newspapers, north korea, oct 5, paternal grandfather, pyongyang, reincarnation, south korea, star general, stark contrast, waseda university, workers party