Harvard outpaces Oxford in admitting African-American, Latino studentsApril 13th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 13 (ANI): Harvard University has outpaced Britain’s Oxford University in admitting a record number of African-American and Latino students.
Reports say that 11.8 percent of its new students for this autumn will be African-American and 12.1 percent Latino, which is believed to be record proportions of the two minority groups, The Guardian reports.
According to the 2009 data, 10.8 percent of students at Harvard were African-American, compared with 8.2 percent at Princeton, and seven percent at Yale. African-American students made up 14 percent of US college enrolments in 2008.
Earlier, British Prime Minister David Cameron had criticised Oxford University after claiming that the institution had admitted only one black student in 2009.
Meanwhile, former Higher Education Minister David Lammy has suggested that part of the reason Harvard does better on race is that it writes to every high-achieving minority student, adding that the institution sends admissions officers every year to schools in every US state.
Its ethnic minority recruitment is assisted by a team of undergraduates who handle campus visits and answer questions on academic life.
In its defence, Oxford can point to 1,500 school outreach events it conducted in 2009, of which 80 percent were in the state sector. Applications from state-educated candidates have been rising for the past decade and high-achieving black candidates are more likely to apply to Oxford than their white peers - suggesting that its outreach is stimulating demand.
According to reports, the proportion of students on federal Pell grants at Harvard was 15 percent in 2008-09. By contrast, data collated by the Sutton Trust charity indicates the percentages of pupils eligible for free school meals at leading English universities range from 0.8 percent at Oxford and Cambridge to 5.3 percent at King’s College in London. (ANI)
- David Cameron in race row with Oxford University - Apr 12, 2011
- Indians getting preference over black students at Oxford University - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Trump's question over Obama's intelligence, background is racism by inference' - May 02, 2011
- Harvard Asian-American discrimination probe ends - Feb 24, 2012
- Indian-American student triggers Harvard probe - Feb 03, 2012
- Cameron disappointed over Oxford University's decision to admit one black student in 2009 - Apr 12, 2011
- 4 Indian Americans named Rhodes Scholars - Nov 22, 2010
- African-American men 'most disadvantaged, least helped in U.S.' - Aug 29, 2010
- Teen in US beaten, called a 'terrorist' by classmates for being Muslim - Oct 12, 2010
- Oxford and Cambridge failing to recruit enough Indian, non-white students: Study - Feb 03, 2010
- NYPD stopped, questioned record 600K people in 2010 - Feb 23, 2011
- Exhibition chronicles Gandhi-King ties - Feb 02, 2012
- Obama gains popularity among young American voters: Poll - Apr 01, 2011
- Over 100mn people joined Twitter in 2010 - Dec 11, 2010
- In US, a school student drops out every 26 seconds - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,