Harsh sentence demanded for mogul in kids’ pornogrpahy caseApril 10th, 2011 - 8:41 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 10 (IANS/EFE) Mexican prosecutors have appealed that a 13-year prison sentence handed down to Lebanese-born Mexican businessman Jean Succar Kuri, who was convicted late last month of producing child pornography and corrupting minors.
The federal Attorney General’s Office said Friday in a statement that “considering the number of victims, the (March 30) sentence should have carried a longer prison term.”
The appeal was filed just hours after the sentence was announced, the AG’s office said.
Under Mexican law, government prosecutors can appeal acquittals or sentences they deem too lenient.
Succar Kuri, who also faces rape charges, has been behind bars in the Caribbean resort city of Cancun since his extradition from the US in July 2006.
Besides jail term, the tourism magnate was ordered to pay 350,000 pesos ($29,000) in damages to each of seven victims.
While hailing the verdict as “historic,” an attorney for one of the victims complained that Succar Kuri’s prison term amounts to less than two years for each minor he abused.
The kiddie-porn case dates from 2003, when a group of minors in Cancun filed a criminal complaint against Succar Kuri.
An investigation by Quintana Roo state police uncovered videos and still photographs of sex acts involving Succar Kuri and girls as young as four, while state prosecutors later caught the mogul on videotape confessing to one of his victims.
The businessman fled to the US, but was arrested in Arizona at the request of Mexican authorities.
- Millionaire sentenced to 13 years in child-porn case - Apr 01, 2011
- Mexican government urged to protect journalist - Jul 06, 2011
- Journalist flees Mexico after death threats - Aug 04, 2012
- Mexico extradites former governor to US - May 10, 2010
- Judge quashes rape charge against Mexican singer - Jan 28, 2011
- Mexican singer appears in court to answer rape charges - Jan 24, 2011
- Mexican daily denounces attempt to block circulation - Apr 09, 2011
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Jun 08, 2010
- Ex `Survivor' producer arraigned in Mexico for wife's murder - Feb 16, 2012
- Accused of rape, Mexican singer held in US - Jan 22, 2011
- Hundreds evacuated after tropical storm hits Mexico - Sep 16, 2010
- Eight killed in fire-bombing in Mexico - Sep 01, 2010
- Luxury hotel for gay tourists to open in Mexico - Dec 29, 2010
- Mexico puts up $1.2 bn to solve kidnappings - May 12, 2012
- Mexican kidnapper becomes first woman to be jailed for life - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,