Harry Potter sketches up for grabsApril 19th, 2009 - 1:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 19 (ANI): Rare artwork for Harry Potter books is to be auctioned at the Glasgow Art Fair.
Sketches by the acclaimed artist Cliff Wright, who illustrated the book Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, are to go under the hammer later this month.
The drawings are the instantly recognisable forerunners of the images, which appeared on the front and back covers of the second novel of JK Rowling’s series.
The front illustration, which features the bespectacled wizard and his classmate Hermione Granger clinging to the back of hippogriff, is expected to fetch 13,000 pounds.
The second sketch, which features a snarling dog, is predicted to raise 11,000 pounds.
Wright said the images were completed in 1998.
“The images are part of a series of 10 which were sent to the publisher Bloomsbury as rough ideas for character development and composition,” he said.
“Each drawing was submitted by fax and returned with comments. The designs were also passed on to JK Rowling for her approval and any comments passed back to me,” the Scotsman quoted Wright as saying.
“On deciding the look of the characters and the picture composition, the watercolour illustration that you see on the cover was then completed, and when the book was published in the autumn of 1999 it became a global phenomenon,” he added.
Micky Middleton of art firm Red Gallery is dealing with the sale and believes that it would attract a huge amount of interest.
“I would encourage collectors to come and see these original works in situ at the Fair,” he said.
The Glasgow Art Fair will run from April 23-26. (ANI)
- Harry Potter becomes experiential in digital space - Jun 24, 2011
- J.K. Rowling announces e-books, Pottermore - Jun 23, 2011
- Harry Potter park opens in US for wizard fans - Jun 19, 2010
- No more Harry Potter books: Daniel Radcliffe - Nov 17, 2010
- Harry Potter series 'inspiring fans to create their own art' - Nov 14, 2010
- J K Rowling embroiled in 'Harry Potter' plagiarism row - Oct 15, 2010
- Daniel Radcliffe says he'll never do another Harry Potter film - Nov 14, 2010
- Warner Bros gifts diamond bracelet to Rowling - Jul 21, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe says that he is done with the Harry Potter franchise - Jun 20, 2011
- Rowling's 'plagiarism' case to include US publishers - Jul 15, 2010
- Rowling plans 'Harry Potter' encyclopaedia - Apr 18, 2012
- British pupils to learn from failure - Feb 07, 2012
- Radcliffe wants to play superhero - May 26, 2012
- Daniel Radcliffe 'was worried about new Potter book rumours' - Apr 27, 2011
- Harry Potter To Be Taught In Durhan University - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: bloomsbury, character development, classmate, forerunners, glasgow, global phenomenon, grabs, harry potter, harry potter and the prisoner, harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, harry potter books, hermione granger, hippogriff, illustration, jk rowling, original works, rare artwork, rough ideas, scotsman, sketch