Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle libraryMay 11th, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, May 11 (IANS) On-line retailing giant Amazon has announced that all seven Harry Potter eBooks will be added to its eBook lending library for owners of the company’s Kindle devices starting June 19.
“We’re absolutely delighted to have reached this agreement with Pottermore. This is the kind of significant investment in the Kindle ecosystem that we’ll continue to make on behalf of Kindle owners,” Jeff Bezos, founder and chief executive officer of Amazon, said in a statement Thursday.
Subscribers of Amazon Prime, a service providing free shipping and discounts for $79 a year, will be able to borrow these bestsellers for free from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, reported Xinhua.
Author J.K.Rowling has been refusing to sell Harry Potter in electronic form through book retailers like Amazon or Barnes & Noble in the US.
Late March, Amazon announced that Harry Potter books will be available to read on all its Kindle devices and apps, but readers would have to buy these books directly from J.K.Rowling’s own eBook store “Pottermore” and then download them to their Kindle devices.
Despite the inconvenience, Pottermore still sold some $1.6 million worth of eBooks in three days.
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Amazon Kindle e-book downloads surpass paperback books in US - Jan 29, 2011
- Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 31, 2011
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Kindle best-selling gadget in Britain, US - Jan 01, 2011
- Harry Potter becomes experiential in digital space - Jun 24, 2011
- J.K. Rowling announces e-books, Pottermore - Jun 23, 2011
- Kindle outsells print versions of books - May 20, 2011
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- Amazon cuts price of Kindle e-book reader - Jun 22, 2010
- E-books on the rise with sales of digital books growing 18-fold in 2010 - Mar 01, 2011
- Amazon reveals that their Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 28, 2011
- Amazon.com Presents 'Kindle' Worth $139 As Its Rivalry Against Apple Intensifies - Jul 30, 2010
- eBook pirates cash in on Kindle boom - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: 6 million, amazon kindle, amp, apps, barnes, bestsellers, book retailers, chief executive officer, ebook store, electronic form, giant amazon, harry potter, harry potter books, inconvenience, j k rowling, jeff bezos founder, lending library, san francisco, subscribers, xinhua