Hare Krishna leader accused of paedophilia in CambodiaMarch 6th, 2008 - 7:01 pm ICT by admin
Phnom Penh, March 6 (DPA) The president of a Hare Krishna-affiliated aid organisation has been arrested from a guest house, allegedly in the company of two young girls in a state of undress, an anti-trafficking police chief said Thursday. US national Thomas Rapanos Wayne, alias Tattva Darshan Das, whose age was not given, president of the non-government organisation Bhaktivedanta Eco Village (BEV) Cambodia, was allegedly arrested in a Phnom Penh guest house in the company of two girls aged 12 and 16.
The age of consent in Cambodia is 15.
Phnom Penh municipal anti-trafficking police chief Eim Rathana said Wayne was arrested Wednesday and investigations were continuing.
“The American has denied the charges, and we must continue to investigate,” Rathana said by telephone.
BEV was registered in Cambodia as an aid organisation focusing on agricultural assistance, education and childcare in 2006.
An anti-trafficking group, Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), which said it assisted in arresting Wayne, said by email Thursday that the alleged victims had been cooperating with the investigation.
Rathana said Wayne had yet to be charged Thursday evening.
The relatively obscure branch of his BEV organisation in Cambodia claims to assist “little children and even university students aspiring to learn”, according to its website.
Cambodian authorities have arrested dozens of foreign paedophiles in recent years, often with the help of non-governmental organisations such as APLE, in an effort to shake off its reputation as a haven for child molesters.
- Norwegian arrested in Cambodia on underage sex charges - Jan 22, 2010
- Swiss man jailed in Cambodia for child sex - Sep 14, 2012
- Indian trade promotion office opens in Cambodia - Sep 02, 2012
- 70-year-old Briton held for molesting Cambodian boys - Jan 29, 2012
- 56 Cambodian kids die of unknown disease - Jul 07, 2012
- Air France becomes first European airline to offer flights to Cambodia - Mar 31, 2011
- US Navy hospital ship heads to Cambodia - Jul 26, 2012
- Respect our interests in Asia-Pacific, China tells US - Jul 13, 2012
- Fabio Cannavaro to help Cambodia promote football - Jan 09, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- 130 workers faint in Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- 3 Americans accused of having sex with children in Cambodia en-route to US to face ‘SEX TOURISM’ charges - Sep 01, 2009
- 24 Indian human-trafficking victims rescued in Malaysia - Sep 03, 2010
- 180 killed in Cambodia stampede (Third Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- Ex-Cambodian anti-drug head gets life sentence - Jan 05, 2012
Tags: age of consent, agricultural assistance, aid organisation, alleged victims, bhaktivedanta, cambodian authorities, child molesters, darshan, eco village, government organisation, guest house, hare krishna, non governmental organisations, paedophiles, paedophilia, phnom penh, police chief, state of undress, two girls, young girls