Haqqanis deny killing Rabbani: BBCOctober 3rd, 2011 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 3 (IANS) The Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network in an audio response to the BBC has denied its involvement in the killing of ex-Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani.
Afghan officials blamed the network for the suicide attack on Rabbani, who was overseeing the peace talks in the violence-riven country.
Siraj Haqqani, a key leader of the group, told the BBC Pashto service that his network was not linked to Pakistan’s spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
Haqqani was giving an audio response to written questions from the BBC. The questions were delivered through an intermediary, who returned with the audio response, the broadcaster said Monday.
Siraj Haqqani is the son of group founder Jalaluddin Haqqani and has a key role in its operations. The Haqqanis have been blamed for a series of deadly recent attacks in Kabul.
Rabbani was killed at his home in Kabul Sep 20 when meeting a man who said he was carrying a peace message from the Taliban. The man detonated a bomb hidden in his turban.
- Afghan intelligence says it foiled plot to kill President Karzai - Oct 06, 2011
- Over 1,400 Haqqani fighters held in Afghanistan this year - Oct 10, 2011
- Pakistan media note Delhi-Kabul strategic links - Oct 05, 2011
- Rabbani's murder planned in Pakistan: Afghan security agency - Oct 01, 2011
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- Gilani condoles Rabbani's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- Senior Haqqani leader captured in Afghanistan: NATO - Oct 01, 2011
- US blocks property of Haqqani network commander - Nov 01, 2011
- Former Afghan president Rabbani killed in blast - Sep 20, 2011
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Rabbani's killing reminder of dangers to Afghan peace: Manmohan - Sep 24, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- India blames 'forces of terror' for Rabbani killing - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,