Hanged gangster praised for donating organsJanuary 11th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Jan 11 (DPA) A Singapore gangster was praised Sunday for donating two kidneys, a liver and a cornea, after he was hanged in prison for murdering a nightclub owner.The Sunday Times profiled the good deeds of Tan Chor Jin, whose kidney was transplanted into ailing retail magnate Tang Wee Sung - who was jailed a day and fined $11,447 in June for attempting to buy an organ, in a case that led to amending the Human Organ Transplant Act.
“By his own act of donating his own body parts to save whichever life that can be saved, I think that’s a very praiseworthy act on the part of the late Tan, and I think that should be commended,” the city state’s Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan was quoted as saying.
Tan, 42, was a leader of a gang that operated in Singapore and Malaysia since the 1950s, trafficking in illegal drugs, smuggling weapons, and gambling, according to the newspaper report.
Tan, also known as One Eye Dragon for being blind in one eye, had requested that his kidneys, liver and cornea be donated and help others rather than go to waste, the newspaper quoted his brother Tan Chor Juay as saying.
Tan’s organs were harvested in a special room within the prison where a doctor confirmed him dead following the Friday dawn hanging.
The Singapore government amended its laws after a nationwide debate which highlighted the plight of patients willing to buy organs after the 56-year old Tang’s case.
Local reports said the amended act would benefit about 520 patients waiting for kidneys. About 80 kidney transplants are carried out every year in Singapore.
- Singapore doctors promote organ donation - Sep 03, 2011
- 1,700 Chinese donate bodies for medical research - Mar 01, 2012
- Retail magnate gets kidney from executed murderer - Jan 10, 2009
- 'Stiff penalties mooted for unethical practices in organ grafting' - Nov 27, 2010
- Health Minister Gulam Nabi Azad ask people to donate organs to save lives - Nov 27, 2010
- Donated organs give new lives to five Chinese - May 24, 2012
- Save lives, become an organ donor (Nov 27 is World Organ Donation Day) - Nov 27, 2010
- A death that gave life to five people - Apr 21, 2011
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012
- Bill to amend Transplantation of Human Organs Act tabled - Aug 26, 2011
- Minister inaugurates organ transplant unit - Jun 12, 2010
- 'Lack of organ donors affecting liver transplants' - Jan 19, 2012
- India faces huge donor crunch in liver transplants: Experts - Oct 07, 2011
- Gambhir to donate his body parts - Nov 10, 2011
- Myanmar builds first liver transplant hospital - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: donating organs, human organ transplant, human organ transplant act, khaw boon wan, kidney transplants, nightclub owner, organ transplant act, singapore gangster, singapore government, tan chor jin