Hanescu hammers Andreev to win Gstaad titleJuly 13th, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Gstaad, (Switzerland) July 13 (IANS) Romanian Victor Hanescu handed Igor Andreev a 6-3, 6-4 defeat in a final at the Allianz Suisse Open Sunday to earn a first career trophy. Andreev, the seventh-seeded Russian, was caught out by rainy weather Saturday and was forced to return to the clay Sunday morning to finish off a semi-final over Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 7-6 (7-5).
But just a few hours of rest was not enough for 2004 finalist Andreev as the number 34 went down in 70 minutes to Hanescu. The Russian was beaten in the title match four years ago by Roger Federer.
The 26-year-old Hanescu became the first Romanian to win Gstaad since Ilie Nastase in 1973.
“I’m so happy, this is like a dream come true,” said the number 80 who had not won back-to-back matches before the breakthrough this week in the Alps.
“It’s so great to win my first title here, this is something I will surely never forget,” said the champion.
Hanescu was competing in his second career final after losing at home in Bucharest last September to Frenchman Gilles Simon.
But now that he’s solved back problems which dropped his ranking over the past two seasons, the former French Open quarter-finalist is ready to continue rebuilding.
“I just want to stay healthy, that is the key for me,” said Hanescu.
The Romanian swept the first set in 28 minutes and once he broke in a long opening game of the second set, his momentum was unstoppable.
“Viktor was unbeatable today,” said Andreev who will celebrate his 25th birthday Monday. “I’ve been unlucky here twice.
“I wasn’t so tired from playing twice, but Victor was just too good.”
Hanescu finished off his career-defining week with the trophy after knocking out Swiss favourite Stanislas Wawrinka in the semi- finals, his third career win over Top 10 player.
The winner improved to 6-1 at Gstaad and 10-14 on the season.
- Bellucci wins second Gstaad title - Jul 22, 2012
- Hanescu ends Wawrinka's hopes in a rain hit Gstaad - Jul 13, 2008
- Ex-Romanian PM tries to commit suicide - Jun 21, 2012
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Chennai Open: Wawrinka survives a scare - Jan 05, 2012
- Federer fights for form to advance in Indian Wells - Mar 15, 2010
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Mathieu turns the corner against Youzhny in Stuttgart - Jul 15, 2009
- Chennai Open: Raonic too good for Hanescu - Jan 04, 2012
- Hewitt to begin 2010 push with weekend Hopman Cup start - Dec 29, 2009
- Federer keen to put Annacone through Toronto coaching paces - Aug 10, 2010
- Ruthless Federer marches on in Australian Open - Jan 21, 2010
- Soderling gets into Stockholm semi-finals - Oct 24, 2009
- Stockholm Open: Somdev crashes out of first round - Oct 18, 2011
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: 25th birthday, allianz, allianz suisse open, bucharest, french open, frenchman, gilles simon, gstaad switzerland, guillermo garcia lopez, igor andreev, last september, nastase, number 34, number 80, quarter finalist, rainy weather, roger federer, semi finals, stanislas wawrinka, victor hanescu