Hameed Dogar sworn in as new Pakistan Chief JusticeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:23 am ICT by admin
JUstice Dogar replaces incumbent Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, who was summarily dismissed by the Musharraf regime after he and several other apex court judges refused to accept the Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO) declaring emergency across Pakistan.
The apex court bench has said that the emergency cannot be imposed and the PCO could not be issued.
According to the court’s decision no judge and chief justice of the Supreme Court and High Courts can take oath under the new PCO.Under this decision, all corps commanders, chief of army staff and all civil and military officials have been bound that they would not abide by any order of the government which go against the constitution or the law.
The prime minister and the president have been made parties in the decision.
The chief justice and all members of the bench are present in the building of the Supreme Court while the chief justice called the IG Islamabad in connection with cordoning off the Supreme Court building and the stopping of the media from entering the building but he did not appear, The News reported. Other print and electronic news reports said that the judges have been confined to their houses and their movements have been restricted.
The bench said that it would make every such decision which would be in accordance with the law and the Constitution and nobody would be allowed to break the law, news reports said.
The Musharraf regime has reportedly set a deadline of 11 p.m.for-concerned officials to sign the PCO. (ANI with inputs)
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court dismisses PCO judges case objections - Dec 13, 2010
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Pak Chief Justice to decide if Musharraf should be prosecuted for defying SC order - Feb 03, 2011
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan apex court raps government over NRO case - Jan 10, 2012
- Pak SC approached to 'hang' Musharraf for subversion of Constitution - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistani chief justice withdraws from emergency era case - Oct 30, 2009
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- Review sought of Pakistani Supreme Court's verdict on emergency - Oct 29, 2009
- Gilani's disqualification a victory of law: Imran Khan - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan's Supreme Court issues contempt notice to Gilani - Jan 16, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Supreme Court summons Musharraf on emergency, judges' sacking (Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
Tags: apex court, chief justice of the supreme court, chief of army, constitution, corps commanders, court bench, high courts, ig, musharraf regime, new chief justice, news reports, officials, pakistan, pco, president musharraf, summarily