Hamas threatens to kidnap more Israeli soldiersMarch 29th, 2009 - 4:45 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, March 29 (Xinhua) The Islamic Hamas movement has threatened to kidnap more Israeli soldiers if Tel Aviv does not respond to its call to free Palestinian prisoners.
The Al-Qassam Brigade, armed wing of the Hamas movement, made the announcement Saturday.
Ra’ed al-Attar of the movement told reporters that “if Israel does not accept the demands to free 1,450 prisoners for captive Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, al-Qassam would kidnap more soldiers.”
Shalit was kidnapped by Hamas militants from the Gaza Strip in 2006. Hamas said it will free the Israeli soldier when Israel releases 1,450 Palestinian prisoners from its custody.
“Hamas movement is not intending to make any concessions concerning its demands to finalise the prisoner-exchange deal, and if this soldier (Shalit) is not enough, we would kidnap more,” al-Attar said.
The senior militant leader said his movement took responsibility for releasing all Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails. “We won’t be comfortable until all those prisoners are freed,” he said.
A senior Hamas leader in Gaza earlier said that a prisoner-exchange deal with Israel to free Shalit for Palestinian prisoners “would be finalised sooner or later”.
“If the deal is not finalised within this week, it will be finalised later,” said Fathi Hamad, a Hamas lawmaker in Gaza, adding that the movement hasn’t changed or modified its demands to free the Palestinian prisoners.
Meanwhile, Egypt is mediating talks between Hamas and Israel on the prisoner-swap deal.
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Two Hamas gunmen killed in Gaza - Sep 20, 2009
- Israel likely to exchange 980 Palestinian prisoners for Shalit - Nov 30, 2009
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: al attar, al qassam, concessions, exchange deal, fathi, gaza strip, hamad, hamas, hamas leader, hamas movement, israeli jails, israeli soldier, israeli soldiers, lawmaker, militant leader, palestinian prisoners, prisoner exchange, shalit, swap deal, xinhua