Hamas says it accepts one-year truce with IsraelFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, Feb 2 (Xinhua) The Islamic Hamas movement said Monday that it accepted a one-year truce with Israel for lifting the blockade on Gaza and reopening the border crossings.Fawzi Barhoum, Hamas spokesman in Gaza, told reporters that the Hamas delegation which arrived in Cairo Sunday will inform senior Egyptian security officials that they accept a one-year truce with Israel.
While confirming that Hamas accepted a one-year truce with Israel, the spokesman also noted that an idea to extend the truce to another half year “has first to be debated and discussed by Hamas leadership”.
A six-moth truce between Hamas and Israel brokered by Egypt expired Dec 19. One week after it expired, Israel carried out a 22-day large-scale military assault on the Gaza Strip.
“A one and a half-year truce can be discussed if it serves the aspirations of the Palestinian people to end their suffering by lifting the blockade and opening the border crossings,” said Barhoum.
He added that case of the captive Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit “is completely isolated from the other files related to the truce, ending the blockade and opening Gaza Strip borders crossings”.
- Hamas says will respond Saturday to truce proposal - Feb 06, 2009
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israel eases Gaza blockade - Jun 21, 2010
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Israel to ease Gaza blockade - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- No truce without lifting of siege on Gaza: Hamas - Feb 07, 2009
- Four doctors visited Israeli soldier held in Gaza Strip: report - Dec 06, 2009
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel allows spare parts, engine oil into Gaza - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: aspirations, blockade, border crossings, borders, cairo, delegation, feb 2, gaza strip, half year, hamas, hamas movement, hamas spokesman, israel gaza, israeli soldier, military assault, moth, security officials, shalit, truce, xinhua