Hamas says ‘era of mercy’ gone, threatens executionsAugust 2nd, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, Aug 2 (DPA) Hamas Saturday said the “era of mercy” had come to an end for what it called “troublemakers” in the Gaza strip, adding that it would deal harshly with opponents to its rule. “The era of treating criminals, murderers, spies and collaborators with mercy and amnesty has gone and the way to deal with them will be clear; soon you will see executions being implemented according to the law,” said Mushier al-Masri, a Hamas legislator.
Hamas launched a crackdown against “troublemakers” in the Gaza Strip following a mysterious blast that killed a girl and five Hamas members on the beach July 25. But most of the detainees in the crackdown were from Hamas’ political rival, the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
Meanwhile, Hamas has for the first time implicitly admitted that its detentions in Gaza were politically motivated. Hamas Friday arrested senior Fatah leaders in response to the arrests that pro- Abbas forces conduct against Hamas people in West Bank.
“We will respond in the same way until the bids to destroy Hamas in the West Bank stops.”
The current crackdown against Fatah in Gaza has been the toughest since Hamas violently took over the coastal enclave and routed pro- Abbas forces last year.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- India welcomes Fatah-Hamas agreement - May 06, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Hamas accuses Fatah of blocking dialogue - Mar 15, 2009
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: aug 2, crackdown, detainees, detentions, enclave, executions, fatah, fatah movement, gaza strip, hamas, legislator, mahmoud abbas, murderers, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, political rival, president mahmoud abbas, spies, troublemakers, west bank