Hamas, Palestinian Authority refuse to recognize Israel as a Jewish stateApril 19th, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Apr. 19 (ANI): The Palestinian Authority and the Hamas have rejected Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s precondition for peace talks that the Palestinians recognize his country as a Jewish state.
Netanyahu made the demand during a meeting with US special Middle East envoy George Mitchell.
Mitchell met PA President Mahmoud Abbas and other top officials in Ramalla. He was urged to pressurize the new Israeli government to accept the two-state solution and honor all agreements signed with Israel as a precondition for resuming the peace talks.
Hamas also rejected the demand, calling it a “dangerous idea” and warning the PA leadership against accepting it, the Jerusalem post reports.
“We reject Netanyahu’s demand to recognize Israel as a Jewish state. This demand illustrates the racist nature of Israel and the extremist policies of its government. It also shows that Israel is not serious about making peace with its neighbors,” Azzam al-Ahmed, a senior Fatah official closely associated with Abbas, said.
He added that the PA would not resume the peace talks until Israel halted all settlement activity in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.
The PA claimed that Netanyahu’s demand was aimed at transferring the Palestinians to another country.
“No Palestinian leader can ever accept this demand even if the whole world recognizes Israel as a Jewish state. The state of Israel belongs to all its citizens, the Palestinians owners of the land and the Jews living there,” Omar al-Ghul, an adviser to PA Prime Minister Salaam Fayad, said.
Hafez Barghouti, editor of the PA’s daily mouthpiece, Al-Hayat Al-Jadeeda, said that Netanyahu’s demand was aimed at expelling the Arab citizens of Israel and turning Jerusalem into a Jewish city.
“Netanyahu wants to replace the Palestinian kaffiyeh with a Jewish kippa. This is an irrational and absurd request. No country in the world has ever demanded that it be recognized on the basis of its religion and not political entity,” he said. (ANI)
- Israel to reject preconditions for resuming direct peace talks - Aug 16, 2010
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Netanyahu's heckler identified - May 25, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel settlement offer 'unprecedented': Clinton (Lead) - Nov 01, 2009
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: al ahmed, arab citizens, binyamin netanyahu, dangerous idea, east jerusalem, extremist policies, fayad, israeli prime minister, jerusalem post, jewish city, kaffiyeh, kippa, mahmoud abbas, middle east envoy, peace talks, president mahmoud abbas, racist nature, ramalla, settlement activity, state of israel