Hamas keeping prisoners in secret jailsFebruary 14th, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza City, Feb 14 (Xinhua) The Hamas administration in the Gaza Strip Saturday said it was keeping a number of criminals in an alternative secret detention facility after the only prison in Gaza was destroyed during Israel’s recent military offensive.
Islam Shahwan, the spokesman for Hamas’ police force in Gaza, said the people who have been kept in the secret detention facility were “jailed for being involved in clannish fighting and attacks on public institutions”.
Shahwan, however, did not reveal the place of the jail and the number of people held there. “We can’t tell the place due to security reasons and in order to maintain the lives of the inmates and the jailors.”
Four prisoners were killed Dec 28 when Israeli warplanes bombed the central prison as part of Israel’s 22-day onslaught in Gaza Strip. Hamas was keeping the prisoners inside the prison though it evacuated all its security facilities during the war.
Human rights group accused Hamas of killing around 20 people; a number of them were prisoners who were chased down after escaping the airstrike on the prison.
Hamas says those who were killed were either collaborators with Israel or charged for killing Palestinians in clannish feuds, but human rights groups say Hamas used the wartime chaos to retaliate on political opponents loyal to the Fatah movement.
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike - Apr 17, 2012
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- 15 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza - May 26, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Two Palestinians hanged for collaborating with Israel - Jul 27, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli planes strike in Gaza, three wounded - Nov 24, 2009
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: airstrike, central prison, city feb, detention facility, fatah, fatah movement, feuds, gaza city, gaza strip, hamas, human rights group, human rights groups, israeli warplanes, jails, police force, political opponents, public institutions, security facilities, security reasons, xinhua