Hamas, Islamic jihad to discuss ceasefire in Egypt next weekMarch 8th, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by admin
Gaza, March 8 (DPA) Hamas and Islamic Jihad factions will visit Egypt next week to continue talks on a ceasefire deal with Israel under Egyptian mediation, an Islamic Jihad leader said Saturday. Khaled al-Batsh told reporters that a delegation from his movement had visited al-Ariish city in Sinai last week as part of preparations for the talks, which will focus on ceasefire, internal Palestinian dialogue, lifting the siege and reopening crossings into the Gaza Strip.
Israel has blockaded the Gaza Strip since last June when Hamas took over the territory from President Mahmoud Abbas’ forces. In addition to the siege, Israel stepped up military operations in the Hamas-ruled coastal Strip.
Al-Batsh says there have been always talks on the ceasefire, “but the Islamic Jihad can accept it when the occupation stops its crimes and becomes ready to give the Palestinians their rights”.
Meanwhile, al-Batsh called on Hamas and Abbas’ Fatah movement to end their differences, which became even greater after Hamas seized Gaza.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: ceasefire deal, coastal strip, crimes, crossings, delegation, dialogue, dpa, factions, fatah, fatah movement, gaza strip, hamas, islamic jihad, islamic jihad leader, khaled, mahmoud abbas, mediation, military operations, palestinians, president mahmoud abbas