Hamas hands over ceasefire proposal to Egypt

April 23rd, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by admin  

Gaza, April 23 (Xinhua) Islamic Hamas movement Wednesday handed over to Egyptian mediators its response to a proposed ceasefire deal with Israel, a spokesman for the movement said. Sami Abu Zuhri said Hamas’ response to the proposed ceasefire was handed over to Egyptian officials Wednesday by Mahmoud Zahar, a Gaza-based Hamas leader who held a series of meetings with them.

According to the spokesman, Hamas’ acceptance of the proposed ceasefire is conditional on cessation of Israeli military escalation, reopening of the crossing points into Gaza and lifting of the Israeli sanctions on the Hamas-ruled territory.

Egypt has been mediating between Israel and Hamas for a ceasefire deal.

Hamas has reportedly accepted that the ceasefire takes place only in Gaza. However, its deposed premier Ismail Haneya said earlier in the day that the ceasefire should also include West Bank.

Hamas seized control of Gaza Strip last June after routing security forces of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Israel increased military operations and tightened the siege on the enclave after that.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |