Hamas hands over ceasefire proposal to EgyptApril 23rd, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by admin
Gaza, April 23 (Xinhua) Islamic Hamas movement Wednesday handed over to Egyptian mediators its response to a proposed ceasefire deal with Israel, a spokesman for the movement said. Sami Abu Zuhri said Hamas’ response to the proposed ceasefire was handed over to Egyptian officials Wednesday by Mahmoud Zahar, a Gaza-based Hamas leader who held a series of meetings with them.
According to the spokesman, Hamas’ acceptance of the proposed ceasefire is conditional on cessation of Israeli military escalation, reopening of the crossing points into Gaza and lifting of the Israeli sanctions on the Hamas-ruled territory.
Egypt has been mediating between Israel and Hamas for a ceasefire deal.
Hamas has reportedly accepted that the ceasefire takes place only in Gaza. However, its deposed premier Ismail Haneya said earlier in the day that the ceasefire should also include West Bank.
Hamas seized control of Gaza Strip last June after routing security forces of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Israel increased military operations and tightened the siege on the enclave after that.
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamas team embarks on Arab tour via Egypt - Mar 04, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Hamas says political motives behind Gaza's mounting energy crisis - Mar 21, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian armed groups vow to attack Israeli targets - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: ceasefire deal, ceasefire proposal, egyptian officials, enclave, escalation, gaza strip, hamas, hamas leader, hamas movement, ismail, mahmoud abbas, mahmoud zahar, mediators, military operations, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas, routing security, sami abu zuhri, xinhua