Hamas fighting Israel with weapons provided by US, European countries to PAJanuary 5th, 2009 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Jan 5 (ANI): Hamas representatives have claimed that their militiamen were fighting against Israeli soldiers in the Gaza Strip with weapons snatched from the Palestinian Authority in the summer of 2007, which were provided by Israel, the US and other European countries.
They said Hamas had managed to lay its hands on all weapons given to forces loyal to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, The Jerusalem Post reported.
Hamas had also seized dozens of armored vehicles used by Abbass security forces, they added.
After its men took full control of the Gaza Strip in 2007, Hamas announced that it had seized tens of thousands of rifles and pistols, including heavy machine guns; night-vision goggles and bulletproof vests, as well as vast amounts of ammunition.
Sources close to Hamas also claimed that dozens of members of the rival Aksa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of Fatah, had volunteered to fight alongside Hamas units, the paper reported.
Meanwhile, jailed Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti sent his greetings on Sunday to Hamas militiamen and to all the gunmen involved in the fighting against the IDF, the Paper reported.
Barghouti urged all Palestinian factions to put aside their differences and unite their ranks to fight against the IDF in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli aggression is directed against all the Palestinians and their cause, the Fatah leader said. This is the time to join forces in combating the Israeli occupation. (ANI)
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Aid activists may have Al-Qaeda link: Israel - Jun 03, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- 'Jund Ansar Allah leader killed himself', says Hamas - Aug 16, 2009
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israel under 'international assault of hypocrisy': Netanyahu - Jun 03, 2010
- Israel eases Gaza blockade - Jun 21, 2010
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israeli soldiers arrest senior Hamas operative in the West Bank - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: armored vehicles, authority president mahmoud abbas, bulletproof vests, fatah, fatah leader, gaza strip, hamas, israeli aggression, israeli occupation, israeli soldiers, jerusalem post, machine guns, mahmoud abbas, martyrs brigades, marwan barghouti, militiamen, night vision goggles, palestinian authority president mahmoud abbas, palestinian factions, president mahmoud abbas