Hamas accepts 18-month Gaza truceFebruary 13th, 2009 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 13 (Xinhua) Hamas has accepted an 18-month truce with Israel in the Gaza Strip, the Egyptian MENA news agency reported Friday.
“We agreed to the truce with the Israeli side for one year and a half,” Hamas politburo deputy chief Moussa Abu-Marzouk said in a statement, adding that Gaza’s six border crossings should be re-opened and the Jewish country must “stop military actions and aggressions in all forms”.
Marzouk also said Egypt will announce the result of the truce talks “within two days”, after contacting Israel and other Palestinian factions.
The breakthrough came Thursday after intensive talks between a Hamas delegation led by Marzouk and Egyptian intelligence chief and pointman for the truce talks, Omar Suleiman.
Egypt has been endeavouring to secure a lasting truce to replace the fragile ceasefire, declared Jan 18 separately by both Israel and Hamas movement, ending Israel’s 22-day massive assault in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
Over 1,300 Palestinians were killed and 5,500 others wounded during the war, while 14 Israelis have died since the launch of the deadly offensive in Gaza Dec 27.
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in Egypt - May 03, 2010
- Suleiman has long been Israel's preferred choice to replace Mubarak as President: Wikileaks - Feb 08, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Omar Suleiman Israel's favourite to replace Mubarak: WikiLeaks - Feb 08, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Suleiman told Israel he would 'cleanse' Sinai of arms runners to Gaza - Feb 10, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: border crossings, ceasefire, deputy chief, gaza strip, hamas, intelligence chief, intensive talks, israeli side, israelis, jewish country, launch, massive assault, military actions, moussa, omar suleiman, palestinian factions, pointman, politburo, truce talks, xinhua