Halt attacks on Pakistani forces: Mullah Omar tells TalibanFebruary 25th, 2009 - 1:31 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 24 (IANS) Taliban leader Mullah Omar has asked Pakistani militants to halt attacks on Pakistani forces, media reports said Tuesday.
In a letter to the leaders of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and other militants, Mullah Mohammad Omar, the head of the ousted Taliban regime, said that fighting fellow Muslims was not jihad, The News reported.
“Attacks on Pakistan’s security forces and killings of fellow Muslims in the tribal areas and elsewhere in Pakistan is bringing a bad name to mujahidin and harming the war against US and NATO forces in Afghanistan,” he was quoted as saying.
Omar asked the Taliban militants operating in Pakistan to forge unity in their ranks and concentrate on actions against the US and Nato forces in Afghanistan as the US was devising a new strategy and adopting new tactics to crush militants in Afghanistan, the report said.
“If anybody really wants to wage jihad, he must fight the occupation forces inside Afghanistan,” Omar said.
“Our aim is to liberate Afghanistan from the occupation forces and death and destruction in Pakistan has never been our goal,” he added.
US President Barack Obama has announced the deployment of an additional 17,000 soldiers to Afghanistan this year.
This will increase the numbers of American troops in the country to more than 50,000 soldiers.
- Canada blacklists Pakistan Taliban - Jul 06, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- Mullah Omar urges Taliban not to hurt civilians - Nov 05, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- US doubtful about winning war on Pakistan border - Dec 06, 2010
- Pakistan mosque blast toll reaches 36 - Feb 18, 2012
- 9/11 transformed South Asia geopolitics (10th anniversary of 9/11) - Sep 09, 2011
- Key Taliban leader arrested in Islamabad - Jul 03, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban leader forms splinter group - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Pak acknowledges failed Times Square bomber met Taliban chief - Jul 26, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban kill five soldiers - Oct 15, 2010
- Taliban won't attack Pakistani security forces: Report - Jan 02, 2012
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Young slayer takes up reins of Pakistani Taliban - Aug 30, 2009
Tags: american troops, barack obama, death and destruction, deployment, halt attacks, jihad, killings, militants, mullah mohammad omar, mullah omar, muslims, nato forces in afghanistan, new strategy, occupation forces, pakistan, security forces, taliban, taliban regime, tribal areas, ttp