Haiti miracle: 84-year-old woman survives ten days buried after killer quakeJanuary 23rd, 2010 - 3:56 pm ICT by ANI
Port-au-Prince, Jan. 23 (ANI): In a miraculous survival story, an 84-year-old woman was rescued from the rubble of her Port-au-Prince home ten days after she was buried by Haiti’s killer earthquake.
Marie Carida Roman was taken to Port-au-Prince’s crowded General Hospital, hooked up to a drip and her face covered with an oxygen mask.
She has a crushed chest and lots of maggots all over her body.
“She is 84. She’s been fighting for 10 days, and now I have to give her 24 hours to say what chance she has,” The Telegraph quoted doctor Vladimir Laroche of Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital, New York, as saying.
“When she was brought in here, there was no movement. Now her jaw moves. She was completely dehydrated,” Laroche said, adding that the woman had “multiple wounds on her leg and lots of other injuries.”
Carida Roman’s son, a 58-year-old telephone technician, said: “I heard her calling yesterday at around 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning. Friends in the neighbourhood helped dig her out with our bare hands.
“We pulled her out at around 7:00 this morning,” her son said.
The miracle rescue of Carida Roman brings to at least 122 the number of survivors pulled from the wreckage of the catastrophic January 12 earthquake, which left at least 75,000 people dead and half a million homeless. (ANI)
- Woman found alive after one week in ruins - Jan 20, 2010
- Miracle as two women pulled out alive week after Haiti quake - Jan 20, 2010
- Miracle as 23-day old baby girl rescued alive after eight days of Haiti quake - Jan 21, 2010
- Survivors found in Haiti supermarket rubble - Jan 18, 2010
- Haiti quake: 4-year-old-boy miraculously survives after being buried for three days - Jan 16, 2010
- Man Pulled Alive From Haiti Quake Rubble - Jan 28, 2010
- Haiti miracle: 17-year-old girl survives 15 days after being buried in killer quake - Jan 28, 2010
- Man pulled alive from the Haiti earthquake rubble - Jan 28, 2010
- Haiti has enough search-rescue teams, 27 on the ground - Jan 16, 2010
- Haiti miracle: Two survivors rescued 11 days after killer quake - Jan 24, 2010
- Haiti earthquake survivor found after being buried in the rubble for 27 days - Feb 10, 2010
- Video: Crowd starts chanting "USA, USA" during L.A. County USAR rescue of a Haitian quake survivor - Jan 20, 2010
- 2,000 Haiti quake orphans sold as sex slaves - Jan 10, 2011
- Shakira donates $400,900 to rebuild Haiti school - Apr 02, 2011
- Earthquake survivor found in Port-au-Prince after eleven days, possibly more - Jan 24, 2010
Tags: calling yesterday, carida, coler goldwater, drip, general hospital, half a million, killer earthquake, killer quake, laroche, maggots, miraculous survival story, neighbourhood, old telephone, old woman, oxygen mask, port au prince, quake port, rubble, specialty hospital, wreckage