Gymnastics world body chief suspects cheating by ChinaMarch 3rd, 2009 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, March 3 (DPA) The president of the world body of gymnastics (FIG) Bruno Grandi has said there were believable indications that China had cheated over the age of some of their gymnasts at the Beijing Olympics last year.
“There were strong indications, but I did not handle the investigation. I had to accept the official documents that I was shown at face-value, I am not a policeman or Interpol,” he told the German gymnastics magazine Leon.
“If I find out that there was cheating, I can act. I gave everything to the IOC and they investigated the issue. They gave us their findings and we looked at them, but there was nothing.”
He said that if people found forged documents on the internet they would have to have legal proof that they were forged. “I have to respect the documents that the Chinese state gives me. What else should I do - declare war on China?”
In Beijing, rumours surfaced that Chinese gymnasts He Kexin, Jiang Yuyan and Yang Yilin had not yet obtained the Olympic minimum age of 16 after reports showed the age of the gymnasts as just 13 in 2007.
But nobody could provide proof that the documents used for Olympic registration had been forged.
The former US gymnastics coach Bela Karolyi said at the time that age-cheating was like doping. “Official documents from a totalitarian system are meaningless,” he said.
- China accepts IOC's decision to take back Olympics medal - Apr 30, 2010
- Chinese women dethrone U.S. to win first-ever gymnastics team gold - Aug 13, 2008
- China stripped of Sydney gymnastics bronze - Apr 29, 2010
- Passport is proof of gymnasts' age - Aug 09, 2008
- Dong Fangxiao Was 14 At Sydney Olympics In 2000 - Apr 29, 2010
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics champ Yibing suffers knee injury - Jul 15, 2012
- IOC not to probe Chinese gymnasts' age - Aug 03, 2008
- IOC orders probe into Chinas gold winning gymnast He Kexins age - Aug 22, 2008
- Former gymnastics champ lives in poverty in China - Jul 16, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- 20 percent of Chinese athletes fake ages - Mar 13, 2009
- China stripped of Olympic 2000 gymnastic medal - Apr 29, 2010
- Chinese officials to crackdown on age cheats - Jul 29, 2010
- A Chinese woman's unique protest - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: beijing olympics, bela karolyi, berlin, bruno grandi, china, chinese gymnasts, chinese state, face value, gymnastics coach, ioc, legal proof, olympics, policeman, president of the world, rumours, totalitarian system, us gymnastics, yilin, yuyan