Gurkha gets Britain’s second highest bravery medal for fighting Taliban in AfghanistanMarch 25th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 25(ANI): A Gurkha who single-handedly fought off an attack by at least a dozen Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan has been awarded Britain’s second highest medal for bravery, the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.
According to the BBC, Acting Sergeant Dipprasad Pun was on sentry duty at a checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand province, on September 17 last year when he spotted insurgents trying to plant a bomb beside the front gate.
Moments later, militants opened fire on the compound from all sides.
For more than a quarter of an hour, alone on the roof, the 32-year-old fought off an onslaught from rocket-propelled grenades and AK-47s.
In total, he fired over 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine.
At one point, when an insurgent tried to climb up to his position, his rifle failed and he resorted to throwing his machine gun tripod to knock him down.
“As soon as it was confirmed that they were Taliban, I was really scared. But as soon as I opened fire that was gone. I thought ‘before they kill me I have to kill some’,” Dipprasad said. (ANI)
- Intrepid Gurkha gets top bravery medal from Queen - Jun 02, 2011
- Victoria Cross winner Gorkha hero Pun who saved Lumley's father dies at 92 - Apr 22, 2011
- Four U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash - Apr 21, 2012
- Renegade Afghan soldier claims responsibility for killing three British troops - Jul 16, 2010
- 'Python' is British Army's winning weapon against Afghan roadside bombs - Feb 18, 2010
- NATO airstrike in Afghanistan kills 12 kids - May 29, 2011
- Security forces rescue 27 Afghans illegaly imprisoned and tortured in secret Taliban prison - Aug 19, 2010
- 18 militants, two soldiers killed in Pakistan (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 20, 2010
- Five soldiers killed in al-Qaeda ambush in western Yemen - May 13, 2011
- Gurkha soldier removed for beheading Taliban man - Jul 18, 2010
- Abandoned Gurkha veterans get first home in Nepal - Nov 17, 2010
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Taliban militants attack hotel near Kabul - Jun 22, 2012
- 48 killed in Kabul terror siege (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,