Guptill confident of successful Test debutMarch 16th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Hamilton, March 16 (IANS) New Zealand batsman Martin Guptill is confident of making a mark on his international debut in the first cricket Test against India here Wednesday.
Guptill smashed an unbeaten 57 from 50 deliveries in the final One-day International(ODI) to help New Zealand to an eight wicket that prevented a 4-0 whitewash of the Kiwis by the visiting Indians.
“I’m feeling pretty confident, I’m looking forward to the challenge,” Guptill was quoted as saying in the New Zealand Herald.
“I’ve faced all the bowlers, I know what they can do.”
Guptill, considered a limited overs specialist, was straight into his work against the Indians, cracking 64 at Napier in the first ODI and eventually tallied 147 runs for the series at 49.00.
Guptill has fashioned a modest average of 28.67 from 19 first class matches, though his highest score of 148 was collected against Otago in December.
The 22-year-old has subsequently batted at first or second drop against Australia and India but returns to his favoured opening position in the Test series.
“I don’t think my four-day record is much to go by. But I’m seeing the ball and striking it clean.”
“It’s going to be great opening with Tim (McIntosh). We have got a pretty good understanding by batting together.”
- Guptill stays calm ahead of Kiwi-India Test series - Mar 16, 2009
- Hyderabad Test: McIntosh's ton helps Kiwis reach 258-4 on Day One - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand 159/2 at tea against India - Nov 12, 2010
- Pakistan eye first Test series win since 2007 as NZ struggle for form - Jan 13, 2011
- Kiwi opener McIntosh wants to settle scores with India's Zak in Hyderabad - Nov 11, 2010
- McIntosh, Guptill steer New Zealand to 258/4 on day one - Nov 12, 2010
- Ojha kept me guessing with his bowling in Hyderabad Test: Guptill - Nov 14, 2010
- India look to extending Test cricket domination - Nov 03, 2010
- Kiwis hope new opening pair will repeat performance in Nagpur Test - Nov 19, 2010
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- McIntosh hits maiden ton on Indian soil ( Statistical highlights, Day one) - Nov 12, 2010
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Third Test, Day One - Nov 20, 2010
- Pakistan beat Kiwis by 10 wickets in Hamilton Test - Jan 09, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Third Test, Day two - Nov 21, 2010
- Kiwis struggling at 148 for seven against India - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: batsman, bowlers, cricket test, deliveries, eight wicket, good understanding, highest score, India, indians, international debut, kiwis, limited overs, napier, new zealand herald, odi, otago, test debut, test series, tim mcintosh, whitewash