Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in IraqFebruary 16th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 16 (IANS) In two separate incidents in Iraq, unidentified gunmen killed a Sunni Arab tribal leader and a government official in central and northern parts of the country Wednesday, the police said. In west of Baghdad, gunmen wearing military uniforms stormed the house of Shiek Ali Dayeh al-Fahdawi, head of Albu-Fahad tribe, in al-Khaldiyah town, some 80 km west of Baghdad, before the dawn, a source from the operations command of Iraq’s Anbar province told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The attackers dragged Fahdawi and his brother away from his house and shot them dead, the source said.
Insurgent attacks continue in the once volatile Sunni Arab area in west of Baghdad that stretches through Anbar province to Iraq’s western borders with Syria, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.
The province cities and its vast desert area have been relatively calm for more than three years after Sunni tribes and anti-US insurgent groups turned to cooperate with the US troops and Iraqi security forces against Al-Qaida network in Iraq.
In a separate incident in northern Iraq, unidentified gunmen in a car shot dead Khawla al-Sab’awi, a woman government official, in front of her house in al-Wahda neighbourhood in eastern Mosul, about 400 km north of Baghdad, a local police source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
Iraq’s Nineveh province has long been a stronghold for insurgent groups, including al-Qaida militants. Its capital city of Mosul is one of the country’s most restive cities.
- 14 dead in Iraq violence - Jan 25, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Prominent Iraqi cleric among seven killed in Iraq attacks - May 05, 2010
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- 22 Shias killed in Iraq bus attack - Sep 13, 2011
- Nine killed in Iraq insurgent attacks - Nov 20, 2011
- Sunni leader assassinated in Iraq - Jun 06, 2011
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Iraqi governor survives bomb attack, two others killed - Aug 08, 2010
- British let al-Qaida kingpin Zarqawi go free, say Iraq war logs - Oct 24, 2010
- At least five killed, 15 injured in Iraq attacks - Oct 07, 2009
- Al Qaida making an attempt to return in Iraq with defecting US-backed fighters - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: al wahda, anbar province, desert area, government official, insurgent attacks, insurgent groups, iraq baghdad, khaldiyah, military uniforms, mosul, nineveh province, northern iraq, operations command, police source, shiek, tribal leader, unidentified gunmen, vast desert, western borders, xinhua