Gunmen kill eight in MexicoApril 20th, 2009 - 4:41 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 20 (EFE) Eight law enforcement officials, including two federal police officers and two prison guards, were killed in an attack on a police convoy in western Mexico, authorities said Sunday.
According to the public safety secretariat, the assailants opened fired Saturday on the police convoy transporting an important drug suspect to a prison in the coastal state of Nayarit.
The gunmen were trying to free nine inmates, including Jeronimo Gamez Garcia, a top leader of the Beltran Leyva drug cartel, officials said.
Garcia, who is suspected of being the logistics and finance chief of the criminal organization run by the Beltran Leyva family, and was in charge of buying cocaine from Colombia’s Valle del Norte drug cartel. He was arrested in January.
Mexico has been plagued in recent years by drug-related violence, with powerful cartels battling each other and the security forces, as rival gangs vie for control of lucrative smuggling and distribution routes.
Armed groups linked to Mexico’s drug cartels murdered around 1,500 people in 2006 and 2,700 people in 2007, with the 2008 death toll soaring to more than 6,000.
So far this year, more than 1,750 people have died.
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- First woman joins Mexican navy's special forces - Dec 12, 2011
- Venezuela arrests top Colombian drug trafficker - Jul 07, 2010
- 18 killed in Mexico drug shootout - Jun 08, 2009
- Mexican drug trade worth $450 mn annually, says government - Jun 02, 2009
- Colombian drug trafficker nabbed at father-in-law's funeral - Apr 08, 2009
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Spain detains two Colombians suspected of 200 killings - Sep 14, 2010
- Mexican federal police arrest drug kingpin Edgar Valdez Villareal - Aug 31, 2010
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- 13 killed in Mexico clashes - Apr 17, 2009
- Four bullet-riddled bodies found in Mexico - Aug 09, 2010
- Mexican singer kidnapped, shot for refusing to sing - Apr 09, 2012
- Two dismembered bodies found outside Mexican bar - Dec 28, 2010
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: assailants, beltran, coastal state, convoy, criminal organization, death toll, distribution routes, drug cartel, drug cartels, federal police officers, finance chief, gamez, gunmen, jeronimo, law enforcement officials, mexico city, mexico mexico, prison guards, rival gangs, western mexico