Gunmen kill 44 at Turkish village wedding partyMay 5th, 2009 - 12:34 pm ICT by ANI
Ankara (Turkey), May 5 (ANI): Unidentified gunmen killed 44 persons attending a wedding party in a village on Monday.
Reports from the village of Sultankoy in Turkey’s south eastern Mardin Province, quoted acting governor Ahmet Ferhat Ozen as saying that:”The assailants, wearing masks, stormed a building in the village of Sultankoy, some 20 km (12 miles) from Mardin, and opened fire on wedding guests.”
Hospital officials said that apart from the 44 killed, at least 17 others were injured.
Ozen said the number of dead could rise. Ambulances rushed the injured to Mardin and local residents were called in to the hospital to donate blood.
Television broadcasters said there had been a blood feud in the village in recent years. State-run news agency Anatolian reported the daughter of the village chief, called a muhtar, was being married when the attack occured.
Meanwhile, Turkish Interior Minister Besir Atalay said on Tuesday morning that preliminary evidence indicated that an attack on a wedding party, which claimed the lives of at least 45 people, was not the work of terrorists. (ANI)
- 44 killed in attack on Turkish wedding (Second Lead) - May 05, 2009
- 41 killed in shooting at Turkish wedding (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Turkey quake toll rises to 582 - Oct 29, 2011
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- Suspected car bomb kills 3 in Turkish capital - Sep 20, 2011
- Turkish teenager rescued after four days - Oct 28, 2011
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Turkey conducts its first face transplant - Jan 22, 2012
- Aftershocks hamper rescue efforts in quake-hit Turkey - Mar 09, 2010
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- Unidentified gunmen attack Iranian bus in eastern Turkey, injuring 8 - Nov 16, 2011
- Turkey to strengthen relations with Pakistan - Aug 12, 2011
- Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU - Jun 07, 2012
- Clock ticking for Istanbul quake - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: anatolian, ankara turkey, assailants, besir atalay, blood feud, ferhat, hospital officials, mardin, muhtar, ozen, run news, s south, television broadcasters, tuesday morning, turkish village, unidentified gunmen, village chief, village wedding, wearing masks, wedding guests