Gunmen help 53 inmates flee Mexico prisonMay 18th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 18 (EFE) Some 20 gunmen wearing police uniforms managed to enter a prison and helped 53 inmates escape in the northern Mexican state of Zacatecas, officials said.
The incident occurred Saturday in Cineguillas penitentiary, located some 30 km from provincial capital Zacatecas, and all the inmates who escaped belonged to the Gulf drug cartel, Zacatecas Governor Amalia Garcia said.
Authorities arrested 40 prison guards and the warden on suspicion that they assisted in the escape attempt, which took just five minutes and during which only one shot was fired, Garcia said.
“There are indications that the guards and prison officials may have acted in complicity with the criminal group,” Garcia said in a statement.
Videos from security cameras inside and outside the prison show that the gunmen got help from prison officials, the governor said.
“It’s clear that it was a perfectly planned operation that relied on the buying of favours,” Garcia said.
The federal police, backed by army troops, have launched an operation to recapture the escaped inmates, he added.
The Gulf drug cartel is one of the most dreaded and powerful drug trafficking organisations in Mexico, who are responsible for more than 1,700 deaths in drug-related violence this year.
Armed groups linked to drug cartels murdered around 1,500 people in 2006 and 2,700 people in 2007, with the 2008 death toll soaring to more than 6,000.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- Report: 71 inmates escape in mass jail break in Mexico's drug-plagued north - Sep 11, 2010
- 41 Mexican guards to go on trial for jailbreak - Dec 29, 2010
- Three killed in latest prison riot in northern Mexico - Feb 22, 2012
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- 31 killed in Mexico prison fight - Jan 06, 2012
- 85 prisoners escape from Mexico jail - Sep 11, 2010
- 12 inmates escape as attackers bust Mexican prison - Jan 18, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 20 die in Mexico prison fight - Oct 16, 2011
- Gunmen kill eight in Mexico - Apr 20, 2009
- 41 guards arrested over Mexico prison escape - Dec 22, 2010
- Prison fight in northern Mexico leaves 20 inmates killed - Oct 17, 2011
Tags: amalia garcia, army troops, asian news, complicity, criminal group, drug cartel, drug cartels, drug trafficking, escape attempt, favours, federal police, gunmen, inmates, mexico city, police uniforms, prison guards, prison officials, provincial capital, security cameras, skp