Gulshan Kumar’s killer to be tried in BangladeshMay 30th, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 30 (IANS) Bollywood music baron Gulshan Kumar’s killer Adul Rauf Daud Merchant, who was nabbed Thursday from Brahmanbaria in the east of the country, will be tried for “posing a threat to Bangladesh’s security” and possessing a fake passport.
Police say they want to probe if Merchant was merely hiding from Mumbai Police or was here on a “mission”.
Earlier reports have said they suspect Merchant, 37, believed to be an associate of Indian underworld kingpin Daud Ibrahim Kaskar, may have a role in a 2004 case of arms haul here.
The Chinese arms, shipped in clandestinely, were meant for the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), a militant outfit of northeastern India operating partly from Bangladeshi territory.
The Detective Branch (DB) of the police Friday brought Merchant and his two accomplices to Dhaka for interrogation, The Daily Star said Saturday.
A professional sharp-shooter, Merchant was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2002 for killing music baron Gulshan Kumar. He escaped during a furlough from jail.
Media reports said it was a contract killing carried out after Kumar refused to pay extortion money to the underworld.
Merchant was reportedly in hiding for over a month during which period he acquired a Bangladeshi passport under the name of Samir Patel.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DB) Monirul Islam told The Daily Star: “He has been accused of intrusion, possessing fake passports and posing security threats to the country.”
- Dhaka probing Gulshan Kumar killer's terror links (Lead) - May 29, 2009
- Music baron Gulshan Kumar's killer nabbed in Bangladesh - May 29, 2009
- 'Dawood Ibrahim has agents in Bangladesh' - Jun 01, 2009
- Indian gangsters expanding Dawood Ibrahim network in Bangladesh - Jun 06, 2009
- 'Dawood Ibrahim network in Bangladesh since 1995' - Jun 03, 2009
- Bangladeshi man held with fake Indian money - Aug 12, 2011
- Politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim: Bangladesh police (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- Bangladesh politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim - Jun 08, 2009
- Dawood eyeing criminal network in Bangladesh: Police - May 30, 2009
- Nabbed Indian militant talked daily with boss in Pakistan: Dhaka - Jul 19, 2009
- Alleged Indian underworld member arrested in Bangladesh - Jun 07, 2009
- Terrorist nabbed in Dhaka linked to attacks in India - Jul 18, 2009
- Militant network in Bangladesh has collapsed: Dhaka police - Oct 03, 2009
- Gulshan Kumar murder accused acquitted (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Verdict in Abu Salem passport case Nov 16 - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: accomplices, bollywood music, chinese arms, commissioner of police, daily star, deputy commissioner, extortion money, fake passport, fake passports, furlough, gulshan kumar, kingpin, life imprisonment, music baron, northeastern india, samir patel, security threats, sharp shooter, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom