Guilty Brit diner pays Indian curry bill after 13 years!March 22nd, 2009 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 22 (ANI): A British diner tried to ease his conscience by paying for a meal in an Indian restaurant 13 years after he fled the eatery.
The anonymous customer left the restaurant in Mumbles, Swansea, without settling his 10-pound meal in 1996.
He later sent police 60 pounds in cash along with a type-written letter, requesting them to clear up his debt and apologise on his behalf to the owner.
“Dear officer, I have enclosed a sum of 60 pounds as a way of compensation for not paying for food at a restaurant in 1996, Sky News quoted him as saying in the letter.
“The total sum for the meal and drink was under 10 pounds. However, I have decided to pay a larger sum as a way of compensation.
“I actually forgot that I didn”t pay the restaurant owner for the meal, drink and waiter service.
“But now that I have remembered I would like to pay the restaurant owner the money that is owed to him/her.
“I would appreciate it greatly if you could contact the owner and pay the money that is owed him.
“The problem is that the restaurant has closed down. It was an Indian restaurant situated on Mumbles Road, opposite Verdi’’s, next to the old Pilot public house.
“Please could you give my apologies to the owner. Thanking you,” he added.
A police spokesman said: “It seems that the author has had a pang of conscience and wishes to repay his debt, with some inflation.
“We are appealing either to the former owner of the Indian Restaurant or to anyone who is aware of his or her whereabouts to come forward.” (ANI)
- Diner pays curry bill after 13 years! - Aug 13, 2009
- Nehru's 1938 rebuff to Nazis to be sold in Britain - Nov 11, 2011
- Briton gives 50-pound notes to public as Christmas gift - Dec 29, 2011
- Cruise enjoys chicken tikka - Aug 23, 2012
- 'Compensate youth whose hands were chopped off' - Mar 04, 2012
- Digvijay shoots off another letter to Hazare - Oct 12, 2011
- Indian eatery owner buys jet to deliver food - Jan 27, 2012
- Anderson in tax trouble - Apr 17, 2012
- Rural restaurants for food security - and jobs too (Comment) - May 16, 2012
- Travel easy with diabetes (Health Feature)(With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Chopper to nab boy who broke greenhouse window - May 26, 2011
- Butler facing lawsuit from restaurant workers - Aug 18, 2011
- Australian restaurant refuses entry to a 'gay dog' - Apr 26, 2010
- (VM) Joshi fears for his life, writes to Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- A sorry thief pays up after 30 years - Jul 01, 2011