Guatemala apologises to Cuba for role in Bay of PigsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Feb 18 (IANS) Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom has publicly apologized for his country’s role in allowing its territory to be used to train the exiles and mercenaries who participated in the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion, EFE reported.
“Today, I want to apologize to Cuba for our country having offered its territory to prepare the invasion of Cuba,” Colom said during a speech at the University of Havana.
The invasion at the Bay of Pigs, known in Cuba as Giron Beach, came in 1961 on the southern coast of the province of Matanzas.
The attackers expected their assault would prompt a rebellion on the island against Fidel Castro’s regime, but no such uprising took place.
Brigade 2506, made up of 1,500 Cuban exiles and mercenaries financed and trained in Guatemala and Nicaragua by the US, was launched April 17, 1961, and was decisively defeated two days later.
“It was not us, but it was our territory and I want to officially apologise to Cuba as president, as head of state and as commander in chief of the Guatemalan Army,” Colom added.
Guatemala was ruled at the time by a US-backed military regime.
Colom arrived in Cuba Sunday night on his first official visit to the communist-ruled island.
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- First cargo ship arrives in Havana from Miami in 50 years - Jul 14, 2012
- Cuba allows US diplomats to meet jailed American - Dec 30, 2009
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- Green Battalion to protect Guatemala's national park - Nov 07, 2010
- Guatemalan first lady to divorce for presidential bid - Mar 22, 2011
- Fidel Castro's sister reveals she worked for CIA - Oct 27, 2009
- Divorce opens way for Guatemalan first lady's presidential bid - Apr 09, 2011
- Cuba coffee production up - Mar 14, 2012
- Ahmadinejad visits Cuba - Jan 12, 2012
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Cuba suspends mail service to US - Jan 22, 2011
- Fifty years after revolution Cuba facing serious challenges - Dec 29, 2008
- Cuba battles corruption - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: alvaro colom, apologises, attackers, bay of pigs, bay of pigs invasion, commander in chief, communist, cuban exiles, efe, fidel castro, giron, guatemalan army, guatemalan president, head of state, invasion of cuba, mercenaries, military regime, rebellion, university of havana, uprising