Growth of Chinese Navy not surprising: US AdmiralApril 20th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 20 (ANI): The growth of the Chinese Navy is in line with its economy and “it’s no surprise to see it develop the way that it has,” a top US naval officer has said.
“The advancement and growth of the PLA navy is consistent with China’s economic advancement and its role in a globalised world,” said Admiral Gary Roughead, US Chief of Naval Operations.
Admiral Roughead told reporters in Beijing that China’s plan to build its first aircraft carrier is not a cause of worry.
“There has been no doubt in my mind that the acquisition of an aircraft carrier and carrier aviation was something that was clearly an ambition and an objective of the PLA Navy,” the China Daily quoted him, as saying.
“The advent of an aircraft carrier on the part of the PLA navy, to me, really doesn’t change the nature of our operations at all,” Admiral Roughead added.
The US Navy Chief, who met his Chinese counterpart Wu Shengli on Saturday, emphasized the importance of military exchanges between the two countries.
Tensions between the United States and China rose last month over an incident in the South China Sea.
The US claimed five Chinese ships had harassed USNS Impeccable in international waters on March 8. But China said the ship was on Chinese waters and had violated international and Chinese laws. (ANI)
- US Navy chief on India visit - Apr 11, 2010
- China developing carrier-killer missile - Dec 29, 2010
- China tests new aircraft carrier - Sep 01, 2011
- Chinese aircraft carrier nears completion - Aug 02, 2011
- US Navy to shift 60 percent fleet to Pacific - Jun 13, 2012
- Sino-US navies try to resolve maritime discords - May 15, 2009
- China stepping up 'carrier killer,' missile tests, warns US expert - Dec 29, 2010
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Chinese aircraft carrier to serve in South China Sea - Aug 17, 2011
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: admiral, aircraft carrier, carrier aviation, chief of naval operations, china daily, chinese counterpart, chinese laws, chinese navy, chinese ships, chinese waters, doubt in my mind, economic advancement, international waters, military exchanges, navy chief, no doubt, pla navy, shengli, south china sea, us navy