Groping after spiking scandal hits PricewaterhouseCoopersNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:16 am ICT by admin
Rich, who earned almost a million dollars a year as a transfer-pricing expert, claims her career was undermined after she complained about “systematic bullying, and harassment” at work.
In July 2004, she wrote to PwC Chief Executive Tony Harrington, saying she had been subjected to sexual harassment and sex discrimination.
Documents in which she outlined examples of “inappropriate conduct” were released yesterday as Justice Catherine Branson heard arguments about professional privilege.
Writing to seek “the firm’s co-operation in trying to reform and rehabilitate” the company, Rich said there was physical and verbal sexual harassment at PwC events.
“There have also been reports of female employees’ drinks being spiked at firm only events,” she alleged.
Rich was quoted by the news.com.au as saying that at an event in 2001, an unnamed male partner put his hands up her shirt and tried to remove her bra.
She also wrote that a video featuring a topless woman sun-baking was screened during a presentation at a Melbourne conference in 2004,
“When the video was shown, one of the male partners shouted across the room: ‘Christina, is that you sunbathing?”‘ Ms Rich said.
She claimed there was an acceptance of male partners kissing and putting their arms around their female counterparts, and that some openly refused to work with female employees and partners.
Rich launched legal action against PwC in 2005, seeking up to 10 million dollars for damage to her reputation, loss of clients, lost earnings and medical counselling.
PwC has denies the allegations and is vigorously defending the action.
The hearing in the matter continues today, when lawyers for PwC will fight to have sensitive documents suppressed. (ANI)
- PwC launches inquiry after male staff rate female colleagues in 'viral' email - Nov 11, 2010
- PricewaterhouseCoopers probes email rating female staff - Nov 11, 2010
- Asian-origin accountant sues UK firm for racial discrimination - Jan 24, 2011
- PricewaterhouseCoopers launches new branding initiative - Sep 21, 2010
- China will overtake US, dominate global trade by 2030: Report - Mar 25, 2011
- PwC launches new entity for backoffice work - Jul 09, 2010
- Accountant suing PwC for making her feel "like a prostitute" gets only 750 pound payout - Sep 25, 2009
- Male staff who 'rated' women in email being probed - Nov 12, 2010
- Female workers sue banking firm Goldman Sachs over sex discrimination - Sep 17, 2010
- Russian media market to grow to $39 bn by 2016 - Jun 14, 2012
- Woman claims 13-year affair with U.S. presidential hopeful Herman Cain - Nov 29, 2011
- Brit woman asked by millionaire boss to call him before she took shower - Sep 29, 2010
- Saudi princess in sexual harassment row allowed to hide identity - Mar 01, 2011
- Paula Deen's restaurant faces lawsuit by former worker - Mar 06, 2012
- Satyam case: Supreme Court grants bail to five - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: 10 million, bullying and harassment, bullying and harassment at work, female counterparts, female employees, harassment at work, inappropriate conduct, male partners, melbourne conference, million dollars, pricewaterhousecoopers, professional privilege, pwc events, sensitive documents, sex discrimination, sun baking, tony harrington, topless woman, verbal sexual harassment, vigorously