Grieving scenes at Brit-Indian shopkeeper Gurmail Singh’s funeral in HuddersfieldMarch 23rd, 2010 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
Huddersfield (UK), Mar 23(ANI): Murdered Indian-origin shopkeeper Gurmail Singh’s funeral was held in Huddersfield, UK, on Monday.
Singh had suffered serious head injuries after he was struck at least nine times with a weapon during an alleged robbery at his store on February 20. He died in hospital the next day.
About 2,000 mourners attended the funeral, and joined Singh’s widow Mohinder Kaur to share her grief.
Members of the Asian community carried the coffin into a Sikh temple as friends from Singh’s hometown Cowcliffe looked on, The Sun reports.
Singh was said to be an extremely well respected shopkeeper who many have described as a pillar of the community
Pub landlady Sharon Pickup said that all his friends are still in shock and as he was loved by everyone.
Police said Singh came to the UK in 1963 and he leaves a wife, two adult sons and a daughter.
He celebrated his 63rd birthday the day before he died.
Earlier, 20-year-old Muawaz Khalid and three 17-year-old boys were charged with the murder of Singh and robbery, and were remanded in custody.
One of the accused, a 17-year-old student, who appeared at Huddersfield Youth Court had admitted of robbing Singh two days before he was fatally attacked.
A fifth man, 20-year-old Umare Aslam, has also been accused and charged with the murder. He appeared before Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court on last week. (ANI)
- Fifth suspect emerges in murder of Indian shopkeeper in UK - Mar 11, 2010
- Two men convicted of murdering Indian-origin shopkeeper Gurmail Singh in UK - Oct 22, 2010
- Brit-Indian Sikh shopkeeper was battered to death with wine bottle, court told - Sep 03, 2010
- Two men get life sentences for murder of Brit-Indian shopkeeper Gurmail Singh - Nov 17, 2010
- Indian-origin shopkeeper beaten to death, British court told - Sep 03, 2010
- Two get life for killing Indian-origin man in Britain - Nov 17, 2010
- Three more held for attack on Brit Sikh shopkeeper - Mar 01, 2010
- Sikh shopkeeper killed in UK while trying to fight teenage burglar gang - Feb 22, 2010
- Murdered Brit Sikh shopkeeper had talked of quitting - Feb 23, 2010
- Gentleman NRI shopkeeper killed for cigarettes, sweets (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Three teenagers arrested in UK Sikh shopkeeper murder case - Feb 26, 2010
- Man arrested in Delhi for killing sister's lover - Jun 10, 2012
- Li Xiufeng wakes up from the dead - Feb 29, 2012
- Child dies of food poisoning, 100 fall ill in Punjab - Apr 05, 2011
- Grave robber steals Fender Telecaster guitar from a casket - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: adult sons, asian community, aslam, coffin, community pub, grief, head injuries, huddersfield uk, indian origin, khalid, magistrates court, mourners, nine times, old boys, pillar, pub landlady, robbery, shopkeeper, sikh temple, sun reports