Grenade blast wounds 21 civilians in Sri LankaSeptember 29th, 2008 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Sep 29 (IANS) At least 21 civilians were wounded in a grenade explosion in Sri Lanka’s eastern Batticaloa district Monday evening, defence sources said. Military spokesman Brig. Udaya Nanayakkara said an unidentified person flung a hand grenade at a group of civilians at a bus stand in the predominantly Muslim village of Kattankudi.
“Of the 21 wounded, two are seriously injured,” Nanayakkara told IANS.
Batticaloa town is located some 300 km east of here.
The motive for the attack was not immediately known.
Kattankudi police is conducting an investigation into the blast.
The Sri Lankan military has secured the entire eastern province comprising Batticaloa, Amparai and Trincomalee districts from the Tamil Tiger rebels last year. Provincial polls were held earlier this year.
- Mine threats after flood waters recede in Sri Lanka - Jan 17, 2011
- India pledges 67 rail buses to Sri Lanka's east - Feb 17, 2009
- Two killed, 10 wounded in Sri Lanka blast - Jan 21, 2009
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Mahatma Gandhi's statue vandalised in Sri Lanka - Apr 07, 2012
- US not for missile base in Trincomalee: Sri Lanka - Jan 21, 2009
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
- Two LTTE leaders surrender, 95,000 flee war zone (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- LTTE cornered to 28 sq km area: Sri Lankan military - Mar 18, 2009
- LTTE planes bomb Colombo, shot down (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2009
- Mine blast kills seven in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- 122 Sri Lankan soldiers hospitalized after food poisoning - Aug 28, 2008
- Sri Lanka ex-army chief loses security, fears for life - Jan 28, 2010
- India hopes Rajapaksa win will give stability to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2010