Green tea may delay onset of type-1 diabetesOctober 24th, 2008 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 24 (IANS) A powerful antioxidant in green tea may prevent or delay the onset of type-1 diabetes, according to a study.Researchers were testing EGCG, green tea’s predominant anti-oxidant, on a lab mouse with type-1 diabetes and primary Sjogren’s syndrome, which damages moisture-producing glands, causing dry mouth and eyes.
“Our study focused on Sjogren’s syndrome, so learning that EGCG also can prevent and delay insulin-dependent type 1 diabetes was a big surprise,” said Stephen Hsu, molecular cell biologist at the School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia (MCG). The study was published Friday in Life Sciences.
In the mouse, EGCG reduced the severity and delayed onset of salivary gland damage associated with Sjogren’s syndrome, which has no known cure.
“EGCG modulates several important genes, so it suppresses the abnormality at the molecular level in the salivary gland. It also significantly lowered the serum auto-antibodies, reducing the severity of Sjogren’s syndrome-like symptoms,” Hsu said. Auto-antibodies are antibodies the body makes against itself.
Both type-1 diabetes and Sjogren’s syndrome are autoimmune diseases, which cause the body to attack itself. Autoimmune disorders are the third most common group of diseases in US and affect about eight percent of the population, an MCG press release, quoting Hsu, said.
- Green tea may help prevent or delay onset of type 1 diabetes - Oct 24, 2008
- Breakthrough opens way for curing auto-immune disease - Mar 13, 2012
- Scientists clue in on why saliva glands stop working - Jun 03, 2011
- Scientists identify regulatory defect that drives lupus - Feb 04, 2011
- Green tea boosts memory - Sep 06, 2012
- Study to find whether leptin helps type 1 diabetic patients - Oct 11, 2010
- Oral vaccines are 'alternative to jab' - Feb 11, 2011
- COPD could be an auto-immunity problem - Nov 20, 2010
- Cure for insulin-dependent diabetes could be developed within 3yrs - Dec 19, 2010
- Molecular 'switch' that contributes to cellular aging process identified - Dec 01, 2010
- Taking the needle out of diabetes - Nov 07, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiencies linked to onset of autoimmune lung disease - Jan 04, 2011
- Tea, coffee & chocolate milk- best healthy beverages! - Jan 14, 2011
- Dietary intervention in infancy can cut diabetes risk among kids - Nov 11, 2010
- Take tea to avoid heart problems, diabetes - Feb 18, 2012