‘Great Britain football team will be formed for Olympics’March 11th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 11 (DPA) Sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe is confident that Great Britain will field a football team at the 2012 Olympics despite opposition.
The Scottish, Welsh and Irish Football Associations are opposed to a joint British team in case it threatens their independent status within FIFA.
Speaking in a debate at Westminster Hall Tuesday, Sutcliffe said that although he wanted the side to have the “widest representation” from the United Kingdom, it could be that only English players were allowed to compete by the national associations.
Sutcliffe said FIFA had given written assurances that a UK side in 2012 would not affect the national teams, but he admitted that “there has always been and will continue to be a threat to that individuality because of the way FIFA is evolving.”
“We should do absolutely nothing that would ever threaten our independent football status,” said Scottish National Party MP Pete Wishart.
“We should never give a hint of a precedent that might be able to be used against us in the future, we should give no reason, no excuse to those who would question our independent footballing status, no succour to those who would seek to end the very generous arrangements we have in the UK.”
- England and Scotland call for postponement of FIFA elections - May 31, 2011
- Welsh and Scott team snub the national anthem - Jul 27, 2012
- Move for a Great Britain soccer team at 2012 - May 31, 2009
- FIFA chief Blatter calls for alternative to penalty shootouts - May 25, 2012
- Iraq asks FIFA to organise its qualifiers in Qatar - Oct 02, 2011
- I-League clubs agree to release players for Caribbean tour - Aug 08, 2011
- Over 4,000 compounds detected in blood samples - Feb 25, 2011
- FIFA moves to prevent on-pitch cardiac arrests - May 26, 2012
- Brazilian footballer gets Dutch passport - Nov 03, 2011
- Blatter re-elected as FIFA President amidst bribery scandal - Jun 02, 2011
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Likely release of 70 convicted terrorists evokes debate - Jun 01, 2011
- FIFA probing Argentina-Nigeria friendly - Jun 04, 2011
- Now, a website that predicts cancer survival - Sep 15, 2010
- No hard feelings against England: Blatter - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: 2012 olympics, assurances, dpa, football associations, football team, great britain, independent football, independent status, individuality, irish football, london march, march 11, national associations, national party mp, scottish national party, succour, sutcliffe, welsh, westminster hall, wishart