Graves Of Wright Brothers VandalizedSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 8:14 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez,
Sep 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In Dayton, Ohio vandals have damaged woodland cemetery that had the graves of the Wright Brothers. As reports suggest, 62 graves have been vandalized with many stones upturned and some broken in half. The damages were confined to the historic section of the cemetery and amounted to $25000. Flags were stolen from the Wright Brothers grave site while a flag was burned by them above Paul Lawrence Dunbar’s grave. It appears that the vandals had sneaked past a security guard in the cemetery as the property is very vast and it is not very difficult to cross the fence.
The vandals have not been caught and no arrests have been made so far in the matter. Stephen Wrights the great grand nephew of the Wright Brothers said that this sort of activity does not benefit anyone and only those with plenty of time and no work in their hands would do something like this. The historic section of the cemetery was chosen randomly and not in preplanned manner, Stephen Wrights said. He said that the Wright Brothers grave happened to be there at the wrong place and at the wrong time. No matter what the seriousness of the issue lies in the fact that some people are not respecting their historical heritage.
The cemetery was founded in 1841. Stephen Wright expressed his sentiments by saying that Woodland cemetery is a great asset to the city and he hopes that whoever was responsible for this vandalism is caught. The police commander of the Central Business district said that vandalism at cemeteries is not uncommon.
- Vandals destroy the cemetery where the Wright Brothers are buried - Sep 23, 2010
- A requiem for dead at Himachal's cemeteries (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Body stolen from a mausoleum in East Farmingdale - Aug 25, 2010
- Desecration of holy sites intolerable: Netanyahu - Oct 09, 2011
- Woodchunks suspected in cemetery flags theft case - Jul 09, 2012
- 'Vandal pinned down by Jesus tombstone Down Under' - Apr 13, 2010
- MJ's tomb defaced with hidden messages by vandals - Jul 14, 2010
- Two Pakistani Hindus get bail in grave digging case - Nov 10, 2011
- Two killed after small plane crashes near Dayton, OH airport - Apr 02, 2010
- WWII Assam cemetery being dug for Japanese troops' remains - Jan 19, 2012
- President Sarkozy apologizes after graves of 95 German soldier vandalized in France - May 29, 2010
- Chinese cemetery fined for selling oversized graves - Apr 14, 2012
- 11 injured in Kolkata violence - Nov 07, 2011
- Danny Boyle awarded British Film Institute Fellowship - Oct 28, 2010
- Mix-up At Arlington Cemetery Grave IDs - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: cemeteries, central business district, dayton ohio, fact that some people, gina gomez, grand nephew, grave site, many stones, paul lawrence dunbar, plenty of time, police commander, security guard, sentiments, seriousness, vandalism, vandals, woodland cemetery, wright brothers, wrights, wrong time