Graphic warnings on Malaysian cigarette packs soonApril 7th, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, April 7 (IANS) Cigarette packs in Malaysia will soon have graphic pictorial and text warnings on the dangers of smoking to discourage the habit, said Health Minister Liow Tiong. He said images were more effective than words as the impression would last longer, The Sun daily reported Monday.
“Pictures of the hazards caused by smoking, such as damaged lungs and bad teeth, will be used on cigarette packs. We feel that by putting pictures, we will be able to send a more alarming warning to consumers,” he told the media Sunday.
Liow said the move was in accordance with the World Health Organisation Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Malaysia is a signatory to the convention.
Malaysia has to ensure that the pictorial warnings are displayed on cigarette packs by November.
“The ministry has met with all cigarette companies in the country and they are supporting the move to send a stronger ‘no smoking’ message to the people,” Liow said.
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- No smoking: Gory pictures pull in, shock trade fair visitors - Nov 18, 2010
- Harsher pictorial warnings on tobacco packs from Dec 1 - May 28, 2011
- Law on anti-tobacco warnings ignored in two states: Study - Feb 16, 2012
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- Pakistan to enlarge pictorial warning on cigarette packs - Nov 23, 2010
- Doctors launch campaign for a tobacco-free Bangalore (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2011
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
- Harsher cancer warning on tobacco products in the offing - May 25, 2011
- Inadequate, say health activists of new anti-tobacco warnings - Jun 01, 2011
- Present tobacco pictorial warnings unclear: Health ministry - Apr 04, 2011
- Picture imperfect: graphic warning on tobacco products from Sunday - May 30, 2009
- WHO warns against tobacco industry pushing sales - May 30, 2012
- Malaysian woman with New Delhi superbug never travelled overseas - Oct 27, 2010
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: bad teeth, cigarette companies, cigarette packs, consumers, dangers of smoking, framework convention, habit, health minister, Images, kuala lumpur, lungs, signatory, sun, tobacco control, world health organisation