Govt. showed dishonourable behaviour during terror raids: British Muslim CouncilApril 22nd, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 22 (ANI): The British Government has been accused of dishonourable behaviour after nine Pakistanis out of 11 arrested in Easter terror raids were released without any charge.
The Government said it would not be prosecuting the nine, but still wanted to deport them, following their apprehension in Greater Manchester, Liverpool and Lancashire earlier this month, The Telegraph reported.
Inayat Bunglawala, spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “When these arrests took place, in very dramatic circumstances with students being pulled from universities and thrown to the floor, we were told by the Prime Minister no less that this was part of a very big terrorist plot.”
“Clearly there just has not been the evidence produced to substantiate such a plot. We would hope that senior ministers and the Prime Minister will understand that it is completely unfair to make prejudicial and premature remarks in cases like this,” he added.
“It is perfectly understandable that not every arrest the police make will result in charges being brought…that is the nature of this sort of police work. What is unacceptable though is for the Government to make prejudicial remarks right at the outset.
“And now, now that we learn that actual evidence cannot be gathered to substantiate any terror plot, instead of releasing them with good grace and making clear a mistake has been made, the Government is seeking to deport them citing a very vague national security threat. That is a very dishonourable way of proceeding,” said Bunglawala.
A lawyer acting for three of the nine Pakistanis claimed the arrests and detention were a “very serious breach of their human rights.”
The operation on April 8 was brought forward after an embarrassing security breach by a senior officer. Then Assistant Commissioner Bob Quick was photographed carrying documents clearly marked “secret” with details of an ongoing police investigation into Downing Street.
His gaffe meant the raids were staged earlier than planned, and he resigned the next day. The nine men, aged between 22 and 38, were released last night by Greater Manchester Police into the custody of the UK Borders Agency (UKBA). (ANI)
Tags: apprehension, assistant commissioner, british government, dramatic circumstances, good grace, greater manchester, lancashire, liverpool, muslim council of britain, national security threat, outset, pakistanis, police work, prime minister, security breach, spokesman, telegraph, terror plot, terrorist plot, way of proceeding