Gordon Ramsay admits recession almost pulled him underJune 1st, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 1 (ANI): Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay has admitted that the ongoing recession almost pulled him under, threatening to shut down his global restaurant empire.
Ramsay revealed that he was forced to sell his precious Ferrari, and that he had even considered selling the family home after finding his company was losing millions and he was sitting on a 7million pounds tax bill.
The chef and his business partner Chris Hutcheson have had to pump 5million pounds of their own money into the business since January to stave off the threat of closure, brought on by over-ambitious expansion plans coupled with the economic recession.
He spoke about the moment when auditors drew up plans to put his firm, Gordon Ramsay Holdings (GRH), into administration.
“It was the worst b******ing ever. They told me I was f*****. They said we should plan for administration, that it would be smoother for everyone,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
The crisis erupted after GRH went over its 500,000 pounds overdraft limit with Royal Bank of Scotland, which had already loaned the company 10 million pounds.
In January, the bank sent in KPMG to examine the books, and it emerged that GRH owed 7.2million pounds in taxes.
Ramsay considered selling 20 per cent of his company and the 6million pounds south London home he shares with wife Tana and their four children.
He did sell his Ferrari but Hutcheson, Tana’s father, talked him out of further sales.
“I didn’t think I could get through,” Ramsay said.
“The hurdles were coming faster and higher all the time. God, I loved that Ferrari, but there was no way I was going under. I couldn’t let down my staff and suppliers,” he added. (ANI)
- Gordon Ramsay to sue family members - Aug 09, 2011
- I have been vaporised by Gordon Ramsay: Chris Hutcheson - Oct 31, 2010
- Beckham's road trip with Ramsay - Aug 04, 2012
- Gordon Ramsay 'served with $2m tax bill in US' - Aug 01, 2010
- Gordon Ramsay to open beauty salon - Oct 03, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay to star in 'The Simpsons' - Nov 13, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay creates Christmas book for Beckhams - Dec 20, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay stretchered off the field after a tackle from Teddy Sheringham at Soccer Aid - May 30, 2012
- I never doubted Gordon Ramsay, says wife - Apr 19, 2010
- Lily Allen gets cooking lesson from Gordon Ramsay - May 24, 2011
- Gordon Ramsay facing nightmare over PS10M business loan? - Jan 26, 2009
- Posh admits she's a 'useless' cook - Dec 26, 2009
- Gordon Ramsay sued for unpaid wine bill - May 05, 2010
- "Hell's Kitchen" New Season Kicks Off - Jun 02, 2010
- Gordon Ramsay and wife Tana determined to make marriage work - Nov 26, 2008
Tags: 10 million, ambitious expansion, bank of scotland, business partner, celebrity chef, chef gordon ramsay, closure, daily express, economic recession, ferrari, grh, hurdles, hutcheson, kpmg, overdraft, restaurant empire, royal bank of scotland, south london, tana, time god