Gordon Brown aide plotted to cripple Tory poll hopesApril 13th, 2009 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.13 (ANI): British Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s close aide, Damian McBride, plotted to cripple Tory election hopes with a vile campaign of unfounded and obscene rumours.
McBride, Brown’s strategy chief, quit after e-mails detailing his sinister smear plan were leaked.A furious Conservative party leader, David Cameron, however, demanded a personal apology from Brown, saying that he was championing corruption and sleaze in Downing Street.
McBride, dubbed “McPoison” by his political victims, planned to unleash his campaign of slurs on the Internet in the run-up to the next general election, reports The Sun.
McBride, 34, listed the slurs in e-mails to ex-Labour spin doctor and blogger Derek Draper.
They included four viz. (1) Cameron suffers from an embarrassing medical condition; (2) Shadow Chancellor George Osborne had sex and took drugs with a hooker and that an ex-girlfriend has pictures of him in a bra, knickers and suspenders; (3) That Tory MP Nadine Dorries had a one-night stand with a fellow MP and (4) A secretly gay Tory MP used his position to get publicity for a firm run by his partner. The existence of these e-mails was revealed by political blogger Paul Staines, who writes the Guido Fawkes website.
Downing Street has tried to dismiss the scandal as an exchange of “juvenile” emails.
A spokesman said: “Neither the Prime Minister, nor anybody else in Downing Street, had knowledge of these emails. “It is the Prime Minister’s view there is no place in politics for the dissemination of material of this kind. Mr McBride and Mr Draper took the decision not to publish this.” (ANI)
- British premier's aide quits over smear scandal - Apr 12, 2009
- Senior Brown aide resigns for sending 'juvenile, inappropriate' email - Apr 12, 2009
- Proof surfaces to show dirty tricks website did involve senior UK Labour party leaders - Apr 19, 2009
- Brown voices regret over aide's Tory plot, but refuses to apologise - Apr 14, 2009
- How Brown aide went about his Tory smear campaign - Apr 13, 2009
- Senior Brown aide apologizes for sending 'juvenile, inappropriate' email - Apr 11, 2009
- Brown apologises for aide's `Smear Gate' e-mails - Apr 17, 2009
- UK PM's ruthless ally Watson - Apr 14, 2009
- Former Labour ministers blame Brown for e-mail fiasco - Apr 15, 2009
- Hollywood studios provide website with racy nude snaps, videos - Feb 23, 2011
- Man kills baby, self after wife ends relation - Sep 16, 2011
- Indian-origin man chief of new media at Downing Street - Nov 07, 2010
- David Cameron in race row with Oxford University - Apr 12, 2011
- "Hurt" Gordon Brown says he can resign at any moment - Jun 20, 2009
- LeT founder wants Pakistani leaders to learn from Cameron - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: blogger, british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, conservative party leader, david cameron, dorries, downing street, draper, george osborne, gordon brown, guido fawkes, knickers, personal apology, prime minister gordon brown, shadow chancellor, sleaze, spin doctor, staines, suspenders, tory mp