Gorbachev terms Russian political system a mockery of democracyOctober 20th, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Moscow, Oct.20 (ANI): Former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev has delivered a damning indictment of the state of Russia’s political system, describing the recent elections as a stage-managed “mockery” of voters. In his most outspoken comments since he resigned in 1991, Gorbachev fiercely criticised the ruling United Russia party led by Vladimir Putin, the prime minister, and said that genuine political debate was now confined to Russia’s tiny liberal press.
“In the eyes of everybody, elections have been turned into a mockery of people and a symbol of disrespect for their choices,” The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“The electoral system has been maimed,” he said in an interview with the Novaya Gazeta, a liberal newspaper he partly owns.
Kremlin-backed electoral officials rushed to insist the vote was largely fair. But in an odd twist, three mainstream opposition parties who have been traditionally happy to play by the Kremlin’s rules, rebelled and walked out of the Duma, the national lower house of parliament.
Gorbachev, 78, said the unusual walkout showed that even United Russia had gone too far this time.
“If such disciplined and cautious people who are so close to power decided to undertake such a demarche, it means that faith in the political institution of elections is definitively lost,” he said.
The comments are a watershed for Gorbachev who has busied himself with think tanks, speeches and measured newspaper commentaries since his dramatic fall from grace.
These latest comments suggest that he believes the entire political system is rotten and needs reforming. (ANI)
- Gorbachev urges Russia election re-run - Dec 24, 2011
- Gorbachev worried about Putin's return - Sep 26, 2011
- Gorbachev says 'little' left over democracy in Russia threatened by corruption - Dec 11, 2010
- Gorbachev plans to revive former party - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia needs fair elections: Gorbachev - Sep 22, 2011
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill - Dec 27, 2011
- International observers say Russian vote 'clearly skewed' for Putin - Mar 05, 2012
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Putin not interested to solve Russian problems: Gorbachev - Aug 16, 2011
- Abramovich symbolizes 'rich debauchery' which has plagued Russia, says Gorbachev - Feb 17, 2011
- Gorbachev to return to Russian politics in 2011 - Sep 30, 2008
- Gorbachev accuses Putin of obstructing democracy in Russia - Oct 27, 2010
- Russia must democratise to avoid mass unrest: Gorbachev - Oct 19, 2010
- Russian journalists assaulted - May 04, 2012
- Middle East people need to feel "masters of their own countries": Gorbachev - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,