Gorbachev agreed to help Reagan fight off an attack from spaceApril 25th, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 25 (ANI): Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev agreed to help his then American counterpart Ronald Reagan in case the United States was attacked from outer space.
Gorbachoev was appearing on Tuesday’s Charlie Rose show on PBS along with George Shultz, Reagan’s Secretary of State during the Gorbachev era.
The show was taped back on March 26 at the Rainbow Room in New York for a luncheon of the American Jewish Historical Society. Quite a bit of the discussion centered on the first meeting between the two leaders in Geneva, which drew this science-fictional aside:
Gorbachev got a laugh when he said he wasn’t all that impressed with Reagan’s historic challenge to “tear down Berlin Wall”. But went on to say that he believed Reagan “was a great president.”
Shultz was talking about the Lake Geneva summit and mentioned the two leaders ducked out of a meeting to take a walk to a nearby cabin.
“I wasn’t there…,” Shultz said before Gorbachev cut him off.
“From the fireside house, President Reagan suddenly said to me, ‘What would you do if the United States were suddenly attacked by someone from outer space? Would you help us?’
“I said, ‘No doubt about it.’”
“He said, ‘We too.’”
“So that’s interesting,” Gorbachev said to much laughter.
He then said to Shultz, “I’m sorry for having interrupted you, but it was an interesting moment,” The Christian Science Monitor reported. (ANI)
- Douglas to play former US president? - Aug 31, 2012
- Ronald Reagan 'thought aliens were planning to invade US' - May 09, 2009
- Reagan's handwritten changes to 'Evil Empire' speech on display - Jan 06, 2011
- Gorbachev urges Russia election re-run - Dec 24, 2011
- Michael Reagan Refutes Brother's Claim That His Father Had Alzheimer - Jan 18, 2011
- Gorbachev worried about Putin's return - Sep 26, 2011
- Gorbachev plans to revive former party - Mar 22, 2012
- Nancy Reagan was "de facto chief of staff" throughout Ronald's stint at White House - Feb 02, 2011
- Blunt to star opposite Cruise? - Apr 17, 2012
- Reagan's children feel no Republican can claim their father's political legacy - Feb 10, 2011
- Putin not interested to solve Russian problems: Gorbachev - Aug 16, 2011
- War against Islam in Afghanistan partly of US's own making: Gorbachev - Feb 27, 2011
- Gorbachev says 'little' left over democracy in Russia threatened by corruption - Dec 11, 2010
- Abramovich symbolizes 'rich debauchery' which has plagued Russia, says Gorbachev - Feb 17, 2011
- Nancy Reagan Celebrates Ronald Reagan's 100th Birthday - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: american counterpart, american jewish historical society, berlin wall, charlie rose, charlie rose show, christian science monitor, fireside, geneva summit, george shultz, historic challenge, jewish historical society, lake geneva, mikhail gorbachev, no doubt, outer space, president mikhail gorbachev, president reagan, rainbow room, ronald reagan, soviet president