GOPIO plans global Gadar centennial in 2013March 15th, 2012 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 15 (IANS) The Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) is organizing the Gadar Centennial Commemoration, the 100th anniversary of the Gadar Movement to liberate India from British colonialism with the force of arms.
The nationalistic movement started as Hindustan Association of the Pacific Coast in 1913 with headquarters in San Francisco, GOPIO recalled announcing the initiative and seeking involvement of various non resident Indian organizations and agencies.
GOPIO plans include a petition to declare 2013 as the year of Centennial Commemoration of Gadar Movement; issuance of a suitably designed postage stamp and publishing a historic Centennial Commemoration book about the Gadar Movement.
It would include sacrifices of the Gadar heroes, brief bio-data of all the 48 martyrs and 69 Gadarites who were given life imprisonment, for free distribution to libraries, schools, institutions and organizations.
Establishing chairs in memory of the Gadar heroes in India and at least one or more in the United States are also planned.
Other plans include: Gadar Centennial Commemoration per city: Lecture forum series in several cities in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and India, with a finale on Nov 1, 2013 in San Francisco with a fitting memorial as a lasting tribute to the Gadar heroes.
In 2003, GOPIO, the National Federation of Indian American Associations (NFIA) and the Global Punjabi Diaspora jointly organized the 90th anniversary of Gadar movement.
The history of the Gadar movement is a testimony of the deep love that the Indian immigrants had for their motherland, India, GOPIO said.
The Gadar Movement is an integral part of the rich heritage in the United States for the Indian Americans and of Indian history, it said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Indian Americans celebrate US Independence Day - Jul 09, 2012
- US rejects Indian-Americans' plea on disclosing offshore accounts - Aug 17, 2011
- Indian forum welcomes easing of passport surrender rules - Jul 02, 2011
- NRI body opposes move to tax long stay in India - Nov 30, 2011
- Now, National Film Awards to be held May 3 every year - May 03, 2012
- Indian-American body to honour 10 for serving community - Sep 15, 2010
- Museum on Indian Cinema to be ready by May 2013: Soni - May 03, 2012
- Indian American groups seek relief on foreign bank accounts - Jul 30, 2011
- NRI body to honour five Indian Americans - Apr 07, 2012
- Dandi March II in US against corruption in India (With Images) - Mar 28, 2011
- Postage stamp on Rashtrapati Bhavan released - Aug 05, 2011
- Now Dandi March in US against corruption in India - Mar 02, 2011
- Guyana born NRI elected chief of diaspora body - Nov 29, 2011
- Indian in US to fast in support of Anna Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- GOPIO to honour 4 Indian Americans - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 100th anniversary, american associations, arun kumar, british colonialism, centennial commemoration, europe australia, global organization, gopio, indian history, indian immigrants, indian organizations, indian origin, institutions and organizations, lecture forum series, life imprisonment, motherland india, national federation, nfia, postage stamp, rich heritage